Author Topic: 2014 Ice Reports / Travel conditions  (Read 106975 times)

Offline John Whyte

• Time on the Water
  • Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • Lake Simcoe Message Board
Re: 2014 Ice Reports / Travel conditions
« Reply #245 on: February 22, 2014, 05:15:00 am »
Any comments on sibbalds point?

Thinking the bike will just get bogged down so I should just hoof it

There was someone out on a bike there. It's messy but they did get around.
I spend 250 days a year on the water and I still feel I'm missing Time on the Water.

Online LakeSimcoe MessageBoard

• Advertisement

Offline Markjsolomon

« Reply #246 on: February 22, 2014, 05:42:07 pm »
Any comments on sibbalds point?

Thinking the bike will just get bogged down so I should just hoof it

There was someone out on a bike there. It's messy but they did get around.
Walking is good there was lots of bikes and sleds at sibbald

Offline Rachard74

• Rookie
« Reply #247 on: February 22, 2014, 08:52:20 pm »
Went across to Fox Island from Innisfil today in the ATV - snow stiff in places, but really soft under - got stuck a couple of times, but firmed up as the sun went down.

Would be easy on a sled, somewhat tough on the ATV, not bad on snowshoes, hard to walk in boots.

Hope it cools down over the couple of days

Offline Grandpa Jim

• VIP Member
« Reply #248 on: February 23, 2014, 07:29:55 pm »
Travelled to-day (Sunday-23rd) from Oro side to mid-lake by ATV. Still a few sections of deep crusted snow but no problem with a little throttle. Didn't encounter any slush but the major crack extending east from Big Bay Point has heaved significantly in spots, eliminating the crossing used the last week or so. No difficulty tracking down an alternative. Barring additional snow, conditions should improve with the cold weather forecasted.
Sled - ideal conditions.
ATV - acceptable.
Walking - better than it has been as existing tracks are quite firm.
When the western skies turn black, I'll be heading on back to the lee of Christian Island!

Offline John Whyte

• Time on the Water
  • Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • Lake Simcoe Message Board
« Reply #249 on: February 24, 2014, 06:14:39 am »
Oro 8th to 10th line.

Still some deep crusty snow and some slush developing. The pressure cracks are barely noticeable and I didn't find any major slush around the cracks. Shoreline was getting slushy but some cold weather predicted should help with that. I made it a point to talk to as many ATV travelers as possible and most said travel was acceptable with two of then saying they got stuck at least once. All had good tires and some with chains.

Sledding was perfect
Walking was tough if you didn't stay on the tracks.
I spend 250 days a year on the water and I still feel I'm missing Time on the Water.

Offline Grandpa Jim

• VIP Member
« Reply #250 on: February 24, 2014, 06:08:45 pm »
Out this morning (24th) and found running the ATV had improved somewhat over the previous day. One caution, the powdery, blowing snow off Oro to-day erased tracks very thoroughly and filled in risky crack crossings. Likely safe with a sled but ATVers and walkers might be wise to thoroughly inspect crack conditions before venturing across.
When the western skies turn black, I'll be heading on back to the lee of Christian Island!

Offline smokem

• veni, vidi, vici
Re:
« Reply #251 on: February 24, 2014, 06:42:20 pm »
Can you show location of the crack on a map Jim? Thanks

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Until we fish again...

Offline Grandpa Jim

• VIP Member
« Reply #252 on: February 24, 2014, 09:42:46 pm »
Smokem,
              Sorry but no idea as to how to illustrate this major crack on a map. The crack in question starts at Big Bay Point and goes directly east. I'm uncertain of its end point but I crossed it last week east of 8 mile Point (Carthew Bay). It has been active with the dramatic swings in temperature and precipitation the last week or so. It has heaved up in places significantly. The danger, especially for ATV's, is that it may separate in places, then freeze overnight. A snowfall can cover the inch or two of ice in the opening and the nice, level, smooth surface presents as an excellent crossing point. In reality, an ATV or walker could find that the tempting location is quite treacherous, depending on the width of the opening. Always check, both coming and going, as the crack can work or widen or heave as the day progresses. NEVER accelerate or "jump" a crack on an ATV. Its much safer (and less painful) to dismount and check conditions on foot. Also, fresh snowmobile tracks across a crack are no guarantee that an ATV is good to cross at the same point. A sled may slide across a crack easily while the wheeled ATV might break through and come to a very abrupt stop.

Offline smokem

• veni, vidi, vici
« Reply #253 on: February 24, 2014, 09:54:24 pm »
Jim, thank you for detailed answer. I just realized that i've misread your previous post and thought that you are referring to crack on Oro side of the bay. Reason for asking is I plan on driving truck across from NW side of BBP to Oro shoal on Wednesday (hope that slush will freeze up by then) and want to make sure that there are no surprises. Please let me know if you have any information on things to look out for

P.S> I do know about that monster crack on SE side of BBP and won't even bother to cross it

Thanks again
Until we fish again...

Offline Wilbur007

« Reply #254 on: February 24, 2014, 10:58:52 pm »
" I plan on driving track across..... " Did you mean driving a ] "truck" across?
"Catching?" No. Just fishin'!

Offline smokem

• veni, vidi, vici
Re:
« Reply #255 on: February 24, 2014, 11:04:14 pm »
Yes

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Until we fish again...

Offline Hardtack

« Reply #256 on: February 25, 2014, 04:32:34 pm »
Beaverton to past white shoal.

Drove out today on ATV.  No slush, even at the pressure crack on south tip of Thorah.  you could drive on trails or make your own.  Never broke through the crust, and my atv was moving some serious tonnage.  Only thing to watch is crossing the paths made by the hut operators.  They are deep and have frozen solid.  Pretty bumpy crossing them.  Sleds were flying out there and walking I would think was half decent (although I never saw anyone walking).

Offline Grandpa Jim

• VIP Member
« Reply #257 on: February 27, 2014, 01:49:51 pm »
Out this morning enjoying the marvellous spring like conditions - don't I wish!
It seems that the constant winds have done a good job of scouring away any and all of the recent squally snowfalls.
Sleds: wonderful conditions.
Quads: decent running but some areas washboardy due to frozen tracks of other vehicles. Moderate speed and all is great along the north shore.
Walking: no idea at all - didn't see any Smitty sled pullers to-day. Mind you, my truck was the only vehicle in the parking lot to-day (a first).

Tight lines everyone.

Trapper

« Reply #258 on: February 27, 2014, 02:27:28 pm »
Went out from JP today to check ice travell for sat to sibbalds.All frozen but very lumpy where machines travelled last week in the slush.Snow nil.All frozen slush.

Offline Grandpa Jim

• VIP Member
« Reply #259 on: February 28, 2014, 04:13:12 pm »
North Shore/Mid-LakeFeb. 28th

Just a cautionary note (from first hand experience) to exercise due caution if crossing the major crack from BBP eastward.