Author Topic: The Adventures of Hector  (Read 8469 times)

Offline John Whyte

• Time on the Water
  • Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • Lake Simcoe Message Board
The Adventures of Hector
« on: September 12, 2013, 04:24:55 pm »
I've had several emails and request to consolidate the hector posts so I'll find them all and put them here when I find out how. I guess he's the site mascot now. I thought it should have been a fish.

On June 18, 2013 my wife was out walking the dogs and she saw a small crow on the ground. It couldn't walk because his leg was broken in three places. She wrapped it in a blanket and brough it home. I told her it probably would not make it through the night. Dar got on the internet and started to read everything there was to know about treating injured bird and baby crows. She even called our vet who gave her someone else to call. She put Hector in a box for the night after feeding him 5 or 6 times, and left him for the night, getting up to feed him every hour.

In the morning we were awakened by this screeching noise. Not only did Hector make it through the night, he wanted to be fed. Dar wrapped his leg so he could stand, fed him again and again and again, and he was on the road to recovery. I was never very fawned of crows but now that we had one for a while he was growing on me and pooping on me.

Within a week he could go outside in the day time and sit on a perch we made him. That's when I made the first post Meet Hector. Within two weeks he could stay outside all day and soon all night. He couldn't fly so he sat on the same perch for hours. Every half hour he would squawk for food. Soon he was ready to walk and hopped all over the grass chasing after my small dog. After another week my wife began to teach him to fly by exercising his wings by holding him on her hand and walking around the yard moving him up and down. He made his first solo flight from his perch into the window and broke his leg again.

to continue.....
« Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 05:09:43 pm by redfish »
I spend 250 days a year on the water and I still feel I'm missing Time on the Water.

Online LakeSimcoe MessageBoard

• Advertisement

Offline John Whyte

• Time on the Water
  • Administrator
  • VIP Member
Meet Hector
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2013, 04:31:35 pm »
Remeber when you were a kid and you brought home all kinds of baby or injured birds and animals. That's my wife now. Meet the latest member of the family Hector our new pet crow. The deal was that hector was to be taken to some organisation for lost and wayward birds the next day. After all you have to feed these young crows every half hour. My wife feeds everything that doesn't belong to someone. Hector just eats and poops. He won't even try to fly because he knows he has hit the jackpot. One peep and he gets fed. Then he goes outside and sits on a branch for a while, has a nap, eats, and the cycle starts over again. I should be so lucky.

« Last Edit: August 21, 2016, 02:45:39 am by John Whyte »
I spend 250 days a year on the water and I still feel I'm missing Time on the Water.

Offline John Whyte

• Time on the Water
  • Administrator
  • VIP Member
Hector won't leave
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2013, 04:33:33 pm »
A few weeks ago we adopted a scraggly baby crow. My collects everything that can't fend for itself, so now we have a pet crow. He was supposed to fly away when we nursed him back to health and taught him to fly. But now he is quite comfortable, fed better than any other animal or bird in the neighborhood, sleeps in a new cage at night after hanging around the backyard all day. Every morning we put him out, let him fly around the yard, pick at the garden, and call all the other crows in the hood. I think his conversations go something like; "what are you guys having for dinner, garbage or worms?" " I'm having salmon for dinner because we had chicken for lunch :D :D"

Hector can fly pretty good but he won't fly away. He knows a good thing when he has it.
 This is what he looks like most of the time.

« Last Edit: August 21, 2016, 02:46:27 am by John Whyte »

Offline John Whyte

• Time on the Water
  • Administrator
  • VIP Member
Poor Hector has no idea what he is
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2013, 04:35:18 pm »
I guess if you are going to nurse something back to health you probably can't choose what it is. It would be nice to have something more glamorous than a crow. An osprey or a king fisher really sounds worth saving. These are birds that know exactly what they are. But hector is not only an outcast, now with a broken foot from trying to get into the house vis the closed window, but he also doesn't quite know what he is. He tried to hang around with the ducks but they won't have him and they chase him all over the yard. The crackles don't want him and until he got bigger they would peck at him.

He tries to hang around with the dogs but they are a little pissed that he gets fresh chicken and they get dog food. Every time they walk by him he has his mouth open and wants something. The dogs just give him the screw you look. The only thing they have in common is that they all like the garbage can lid turned up-side down and is now a bath.

The squirrels don't seem to mind him but when he opens his mouth to be fed they make funny noises at him.

At least he's willing to share his chicken to make friends.

This is his politician pose

The funny farm is getting bigger by the day.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2016, 02:49:38 am by John Whyte »

Offline John Whyte

• Time on the Water
  • Administrator
  • VIP Member
Birds can't catch
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2013, 04:37:00 pm »
After three weeks our adopted son Hector now pretty well runs the house. He is quite proud of himself flying from tree to tree, digging up the garden, and chasing the dogs. The dogs have now given up and are now playing with hector but hector wants to do everything his way. If he has a ball and one of the dogs have a ball, he wants both. It's amazing the way the dogs will chase away the squirrels and the crackles or even the ducks, but they treat Hector like he's one of the gang. Maybe the dogs are just waiting for winter and hope he flies south.

[img width]https://www.lakesimcoemessageboard.com/album/albums/userpics/10002/lola-heck-jasper_arguing1220joke.jpg[/img]

« Last Edit: August 21, 2016, 02:50:32 am by John Whyte »

Offline John Whyte

• Time on the Water
  • Administrator
  • VIP Member
Yes he's still around
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2013, 04:39:23 pm »
When I am travelling around I often get questions about fishing or ice fishing, or remarks on videos. When in Kingston it was a lot of the same but the most asked about feature of the sites or videos was, "how is Hector". I have never seen so many people interested in a crow. The other crows are certainly not interested, I think they are jealous. My dogs can't figure him out but I think they would be happy if he flew away. He keeps landing on their backs. The dogs don't get fed until noon but Hector gets fresh food every time he knocks on the door. Farmers have roosters, we have Hector. By 6:00 a.m. he is squawking at the door to wake someone. Now he even follows my wife when she leaves the house to walk the dogs.

I wonder if he will fly south or do I have to buy him a ticket?

He likes to comb my wife's hair.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2016, 02:16:20 am by John Whyte »

Offline John Whyte

• Time on the Water
  • Administrator
  • VIP Member
Hanibal Hector
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2013, 04:41:57 pm »
Apparently crows really like to play and one of their favorite games is tug of war. But ounce he gets a hold of your finger he won't let go.

He plays with my small dog but when it comes to food she won't share with him but he keeps trying anyway. Sometimes he starts dancing like a kid pulling a tantrum

« Last Edit: August 21, 2016, 02:51:17 am by John Whyte »

Offline John Whyte

• Time on the Water
  • Administrator
  • VIP Member
Hector - Taking back the hood
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2013, 04:43:50 pm »
Hector is quite a sociable guy but he doesn't like to share very much. That's why the dogs won't play with him. He does seem to be trying and invites the whole neighborhood to feed on corn my wife puts out. I think he's trying to be more likable so he can put a posse together. The other morning my wife took the dogs on their typical 3 km walk around the block and by the wetlands. Hector decided to go as well. He followed them down the street flying from tree to tree and back to her shoulder. When they got to the wetlands he was up on a wire when a flock of crows attached him. He flew off into the wetlands. My wife was worried so she sped up her walk but by the time she reached the other side Hector was waiting for her on the wire.

Crows are very territorial and being part of the Blue Jay family they can really do a job on outsiders. I think once Hector gets enough friends together he'll head back to the hood.

Here's the funny farm posse so far
The chipmunk isn't very big but he can stuff a lot of ammo in his mouth

The ducks control the water

These blackbirds work for corn

I guess the rabbit can run for help
« Last Edit: August 21, 2016, 02:52:12 am by John Whyte »

Offline John Whyte

• Time on the Water
  • Administrator
  • VIP Member
Knock Knock - who's there
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2013, 04:46:33 pm »
I'm sitting at my computer and I here a knock at the door. The dogs start barking so I run upstairs to the front door where the dogs are ready to meet our guests. I open the door but no one is there. I head back to my computer and I hear the knocking again. I go to the back door, look through the glass and no one is there. But while I'm still looking out the knocking starts. I go to the door, open it and in walks Hector.

He starts making these funny noises like he's trying to talk. I'm sure he's asking for more peanuts so I get some and take them outside. He grabs as many as he can and flies up into a close tree where another crow about the same age is. I think Hector has a girlfriend! I did see another young crow hanging around with Big Black Bart so I hope it isn't one of his girls or his daughter. I don't want any trouble around here.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2016, 02:52:46 am by John Whyte »

Offline John Whyte

• Time on the Water
  • Administrator
  • VIP Member
Best Freinds - Hector the Provider
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2013, 04:48:15 pm »
Nature can dish up some odd couples from time to time. One of these companionship is with Hector and my little dog Lola. This morning I went out and hector is trying to give lola a spider. Lola will try to eat just about anything which seems to be Cockapoo's nature. But spiders are more a birds delicacy  . I never thought I would see a dog and a crow becoming best friends.

We might have to promote Hector to backyard manager. Yesterday he stopped two ducks from fighting. He might even get a job at the United Nations!

Is this the look of wisdom or just another bird brain?
« Last Edit: August 21, 2016, 02:53:50 am by John Whyte »

Offline John Whyte

• Time on the Water
  • Administrator
  • VIP Member
Re: The Adventures of Hector
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2013, 05:18:50 pm »
I was reading BASS Magazine with Hector and we were debating techniques for deep fall smallies. I said the best way to cover water fast was either with spoons or a Carolina rig.
He said ( I'm paraphrasing) “got any peanuts” and I said “spoons get more attention” and he said “remember those chicken gizzards I use to get when I had a broken leg” and I said “not only do they transmit more light but the clicking on the bottom also attracts attention” and he said “don’t you just love chicken liver” and I said “I like a single treble hook” and he said “what were those crackers we had with salt” and I said “ I like the ½ ounce spoons because they get down so fast” and he said “turn the page”

I think he only looks at the pictures

« Last Edit: August 21, 2016, 02:54:24 am by John Whyte »

Offline John Whyte

• Time on the Water
  • Administrator
  • VIP Member
Missing 14 week old crow
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2013, 04:33:12 am »
Missing one 14 week (about) crow last seen early morning wearing black feathers and a goofy look, answering to the name Hector. He's too spoiled not be here all day bugging the hell out of someone so I'm filing a missing crow report.

I could tell something was up when Black Bart showed up this morning. He's the biggest crow in the neighborhood and he's always taking hectors peanuts. I hope hector hasn't joined his gang. They are a ruthless group who wouldn't think twice about pooping on your boat or car. When they come all the ducks and other birds leave.

We are offering a reward of half bag of peanuts for any information leading to the safe return of hector.

« Last Edit: August 21, 2016, 02:54:58 am by John Whyte »

Offline John Whyte

• Time on the Water
  • Administrator
  • VIP Member
Hector the manager.
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2013, 06:26:44 am »
The problem with teenagers is they have no sense of responsibility. Don't get me wrong I like to see an entrepreneur spirit  in the young but when it boarders on extortion that's crossing the line. Ever since Hector has hooked up with this fluesy we hardly see him anymore. We gave him the responsibility of back yard manager but we end up doing it ourselves.

This morning when he came for his breakfast my wife put the corn out for the ducks. Hector tried to sell tickets. The ducks protested and Hector flew off with his hooligan friends. It's just a matter of time before we get that call in the middle of the night.

Offline Sheepdog

• VIP Member
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2013, 03:16:49 pm »
I think you already have problems....

Seems the boy gets around!!
Everything changes...."In a Blink"

Offline John Whyte

• Time on the Water
  • Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2013, 04:49:53 am »
I knew this would happen >:(

Online Fisherman

• VIP Member
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2013, 07:12:18 pm »
I  think I found Hector, click on the link and follow directions.
http://www.jacquielawson.com/viewcard.asp?code=1945403309392&source=jl999