15 (19%)
No change over previous years
15 (19%)
Slightly worse than previous years
33 (41.8%)
Very poor
8 (10.1%)

Total Members Voted: 2

Author Topic: Perch Fishing This Winter - Take the poll  (Read 5467 times)

Offline John Whyte

• Time on the Water
  • Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • Lake Simcoe Message Board
Perch Fishing This Winter - Take the poll
« on: April 02, 2013, 04:41:54 pm »
When taking the poll please consider the last 5 years as a comparison. Also consider average size. If you caught a lot of perch but they were all too small then the results were not very good.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 09:37:46 am by redfish »
I spend 250 days a year on the water and I still feel I'm missing Time on the Water.

Online LakeSimcoe MessageBoard

• Advertisement

Online Fishfood

• VIP Member
Re: Perch Fishing This Winter - Take the poll
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2013, 06:50:36 pm »
I liked my perching this year I put no change.Only diffrents this year Is I fished areas I would  not normaly fish.Only time I did poorly was alll the turnys ..Wow I sucked this year at them lol. My home water in port polster went to crap  after the first 2 outing  had to 2 days of looking for them with bad results then fished other areas and there are the fish..

Ps the navionics really helped out alot I use  it all the time,even sitting here on the coutch. Always looking at map planning where to go where to fish and so on..Now I wanna look at it again lol..

Offline john_willy

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2013, 07:08:51 pm »
Last year we did very well every where we went however this year was really hit and miss - our usual hot spots were kind of lukewarm - we were on foot so it was difficult to try a lot of new locations.... I would say our fishing was good to poor with 3 or 4 really good catches in the mix....

Did catch some really skinny herring and released them - at one time a bunch followed the spoon right up into the hole and one grabbed it - not sure why they're so skinny - not enough to food? - even if they do open them up there's not much meat on them....

p.s. drove along the lake shore on the east side and it was just howling with snow drifting over the road - I don't believe it was quite as bad as yesterday but still pretty bad...... also the lake looked to be in great shape except for some open spots along the shore line but I didn't see one person out there - I guess it is finally over.....

Offline nocod

• VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2013, 07:11:58 pm »
I allways fished cooks bay and this year moved east to the pb area,the fishing was ok but nothing special.

Offline davey buoy

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2013, 02:16:50 pm »
We finally found a great spot,continually quality fish,20% 12" OR BETTER!!!. Great year for us.

Offline Fishslayer

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2013, 02:21:52 pm »
The last number of years I and "we" have done very well. This season had a decent start, consistent but action it was on the slow side, in the areas I fished it often seemed better to wait them out than to make a number of moves.

Typically, in the past it was more common than uncommon to get onto runs of keeper fish rapidly. Runs of perch 9 inchers and larger of 10 or more in a 5 to ten minute span. This year that was seldom the case.

Perch often came in singles, pairs or small pods and the amount of time between fish was significantly longer.

I realize that in cooks bay and places like VB or peferlaw may have a lot of small fish so the catch rates may be much faster but generally I have found that it took a lot of sorting.

Old tried and true grounds around throah and georgina produced either sparse or inconsistent results. Electronics often revealed the fish to be scattered.
Depth changes included fishing water anywhere from 53 ft to 5ft. I also put more miles on my machines than ever before. I spent time off of innisfil, fox and snake islands, willow beach,throah, georgina, the talbot, beaverton and even a trip upto strawberry..
Diid we catch fish sure.... but often it was far slower than any year I can ever remember. Fish also seemed to be spitting up bait or other food sources and we ran across more herring than ever before in locations that we've have never caught them.

Axle

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2013, 11:11:42 am »
I clean my perch by separating the meat on the bone from the skin with the guts still attached to the head. I then take those "meatless" skins with head and guts attached to them and I put them through a meat grinder and make a fishy paste. I've been chumming the general area I am fishing with that paste and had good success for perch and pike all winter long. Nothing goes to waste when I keep the fish and it helps me catch more fish throughout the season. Only problem is when you leave the chum in your car in a heated garage..