Author Topic: Wind Direction  (Read 1320 times)

Offline didoban

Wind Direction
« on: July 30, 2021, 05:10:06 pm »
What's the wave like with the wind speed and direction between Thorah Island and Beaverton?  At what wind speed and direction does it get uncomfortable there. More or less, to avoid spoiling a trip and the safety factor on a 16' tinner.  TIA

Online LakeSimcoe MessageBoard

• Advertisement

Offline muskyjohn

Re: Wind Direction
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2021, 01:42:00 pm »
10 knots should be your max winds to deal with in your boat.
Windfinder Lake Simcoe is a great site for checking the winds.

Offline BB

• LOONY TOONER
  • VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2021, 02:05:52 pm »
I have gone to this site and nothing else now,,,,,,,,,,,,

https://www.lakesimcoemessageboard.com/forums/index.php/topic,14577.0.html

Offline Edchris

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2021, 11:57:50 am »
A huge amount depends on how loaded your boat is. A lightly loaded tinny can take surprisingly rough water. Last fall, shooting cormorants, I took my 14’ flat bottom John boat out in over 15kts.
Being solo, it rides like a beach ball, at slow speeds it simply slides into the troughs & popped up on the facing swells.
As long as the waves are not high breakers, you can, with some experience navigate surprising conditions.
If you load a boat down, things change considerably. The boat drops into the troughs, (or waves overtake you), & without lots of reserve buoyancy, the boat is very slow to rise. With a wave taller than the freeboard, you take on water quickly, & swamp.
We used to fish on Great Bear Lake with 16’ Lund tinny’s. Light gear r, (bear gun- there were barren ground grizzlies there), some survival rations, a bit of fishing gear, & TWO PEOPLE in a boat.

Offline Garnet

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2021, 08:25:22 am »
Anything with west in it is bumpy.

How bumpy is up to you and your experience level.

Offline didoban

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2021, 12:45:27 pm »
West the Best, East the Least...What speed for west wind to get bumpy?

Offline KWslammer

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2021, 06:40:25 am »
Just my 2 cents but there is no set number for wind speed at which the water bumpy.

The longer the fetch the more distance the wind has to build the waves so if the wind is blowing from the west, for example, on Simcoe the east shore will probably experience higher waves.
Water temperature is a factor.  Warmer water can allow bigger waves to form.  So bigger waves are more possible in the fall than the spring.
Water depth is a factor since as the water depth shallows a wave's energy is increasingly concentrated into a smaller area causing the water to pile up.

I know you guys all know this and more.  Just sayin'
><///(° >  ¿