Author Topic: Help! - Competitor 185 Sport vs Impact 1850 XS  (Read 1659 times)

Offline Bailer

Help! - Competitor 185 Sport vs Impact 1850 XS
« on: July 29, 2021, 01:16:59 pm »
I'm downsizing from a heavy fiberglass to an aluminum fishing rig. So far I've narrowed it down to choosing between these two boats. I plan on traveling lots up north, boat camping, shore lunches, and a mix of big and small water.

If anybody has either one of these models, I am wondering if I could join you for a few hours on the water to see what these boats are really like since I've never been in either one of them. A case of wobbly pops, bottle of hooch, or a tank of gas would be coming your way, whatever you prefer. I live in Barrie but am willing to drive a ways for the opportunity.

Also if anyone has any recent opinions on the following questions I'd love to hear them:
1. Hull design/ride quality on rough water/wet or dry ride?
2. Storage pros and cons (eg. does your gear stay dry?)
3. Canvas enclosure ease of use and on board storage.
4. Overall fit and finish
5. Warranty support.
6. Any regrets?

Thanks!

Online LakeSimcoe MessageBoard

• Advertisement

Offline Tom McCutcheon

• Tom McCutcheon
Re: Help! - Competitor 185 Sport vs Impact 1850 XS
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2021, 03:04:15 pm »
I can't help you with a comparison, but I can give you some insight regarding the Lund. I know it's not the same model you are looking at. 2007 Lund 1850 Mr. Pike (last year for this model) side console with a 135 Merc Optimax and Merc 9.9 kicker. No top enclosure or Bimini, so it is wide open to the elements while fishing. All compartments are relatively water tight, but to make sure I also store goods in a dry bag. Lots of room for just about any gear you would want on board. I Muskie fish mostly, but when Muskie are not in season other species are fair game.
It rides dry during most conditions. As with any boat you need to find the sweet spot according to waves and wind directions. No warranty claims from this owner.

Having never been on board, I can not comment about the Alumacraft other than what I have heard. They are also a well built boat that seem to have everything we want in a boat, and it was a toss up at the time of purchase between Lund, Alumacraft and Crestliner. Alumacraft did not have the model I was looking for at the time of purchase.
If you eat a live frog first thing in the morning,  nothing worse can happen for the rest of the day

Offline Bailer

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2021, 11:14:33 am »
Thanks Tom - much appreciated. Musky are one of the reasons I want to switch to a boat with a lot more fishability. Do you know if the Mr Pike has basically the same IPS hull as the current Lunds? Sounds like a good boat.

Offline Tom McCutcheon

• Tom McCutcheon
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2021, 01:23:13 pm »
Yep...IPS hull design.

The 135 will get up to around 47 or 48 MPH trimmed out just right on reasonably flat water, and half full fuel tank and 1 passenger. Once I added the kicker and house battery for it plus the 24 volt Minn Kota and 2 group 31's for it, I can still get about 43. Very stable boat in my opinion. Cruises pretty well and dry in most 1 to 2 foot waves or swells at around 30 to 35 MPH give or take. Of course if the waves/wake are coming from all directions because of boat traffic, you might take one off the side sort of, which will cause the wave to splash up in the air and get you or your passenger wet. Especially in a side console boat. A full windshield would eliminate that problem. 
If I had to do it again, I would option a 150 four stroke and the full windshield. Not much difference in weight between the 2 strokes and 4 strokes now.

I am a pretty big guy, 6' 5" (and if I was honest with my wife, 300lbs.). I liked the wide gunnels for stepping aboard, and mounting tracks for rod holders.

Boat shopping is such a nice way to pass time...You sound like you are doing your homework first which is always a good idea.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2021, 01:35:47 pm by Tom McCutcheon »
If you eat a live frog first thing in the morning,  nothing worse can happen for the rest of the day

Offline muskyjohn

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2021, 01:39:49 pm »
I have owned 7 Lunds and looking to upgrade again. Great boats all around.
I currently have a 2016 Lund Impact 1875-Dual console with a Mercury 115hp- 4 stroke. Awesome package. I fish Couchiching-Simcoe-Georgian Bay and Nipissing usually hunting muskies-pike and smallies.
Have a look at my Kijiji ad on Barrie posting -might be something you could be interested in.
Good luck.

Offline BB

• LOONY TOONER
  • VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2021, 02:07:21 pm »

Have a look at my Kijiji ad on Barrie posting -might be something you could be interested in.
Good luck.

Link John please ?

Offline muskyjohn

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2021, 02:55:22 pm »
Kijiji ad id

Offline Bailer

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2021, 10:36:17 pm »
MKsouthon - thanks for posting the link. MuskyJohn - I will definitely keep your boat in mind. Iíve been looking at full windshields for the occasional time the wife comes along but the double bubble might be enough. Also, love getting ideas from how other guys rig their boats, (eg your rocket launchers.)

Thanks everyone for your input so far - much appreciated!

Offline BB

• LOONY TOONER
  • VIP Member
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2021, 04:52:33 am »
Kijiji ad id

That is an all around great fishing boat. Nice ride John
Good luck with the sale .

Offline Edchris

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2021, 10:23:37 am »
Your initial post mentioned, boat camping, & bigger water.
Go with a full windscreen, & canvas, & a deep V hull
We had a Lund 18.5 on Great Slave Lake years ago. Fishing was fantastic up there, but thatís a different story.
BIG water, you want a deep V, & full windscreen, especially when boat camping.
We had twin otters fly 6 x 45 gal drums of fuel into the wilderness, did 600 mile camping/fishing trips to the far ends of GSL, no other boats, Coastguard, or help.
A few times, we camped in the boat, full canvas is better than good fishing gear when the weather cools.
This was Ď91 Lund Tyee, not sure if the metal is the same gauge today, but we never had an issue with this boat.
There are arguments on rivets vs welded, the Lund was riveted. I have decades of experience with aircraft, on floats & skis, both of which are hell on hulls...aircraft are riveted.

Offline Bailer

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2021, 11:30:52 pm »
Wow - that would have been an incredible trip on GSL! I also have experience with floats so weíre on the same page re welded vs riveted. Just hoping I donít have to pump the boat as often as I had to pump the floats!  :)

Offline Tdsperch

« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2021, 12:34:48 pm »
I can give you my opinion on my 2013 Lund 1750 Tyee with Honda 115 I bought new in 2013. Dry smooth ride most conditions (IPS hull); I slow down/don't slam it into the waves in rough water.  It has good storage and stays dry. All weather top is easy to store/deploy and offers protection from sun/rain and wind especially if I put the side covers on (a must when fishing in cold windy late fall conditions).  It comes with the full enclosure but I've never used it. Love the full windshield; I don't understand why people go with side/dual consoles unless you need the extra space. No issues with fit/finish; no warranty claims.  Air ride pedestals and pilot seat take out the hard pounding when going thru waves; saves my back. Top speed 40mph (according to my GPS) with four blade prop (used to be 44mph with 3 blade prop). I have a 24V Minn Kota Terrova trolling motor which is great for trolling and spot lock anchoring; I also don't understand why people go for the Power poles which looks like it would get in the way of fishing off the stern unless deployed. My only regret is not going to an 18.5ft boat as I think it would just fit in my garage. I hope this boat will last me 20+ more years.  Good luck in your search and I can't stress enough to do your research. My first boat was a new 16ft Tracker and I regretted it and the warranty issues (I didn't do my research) eventually trading it in for the Lund.

Offline Bailer

« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2021, 08:29:41 am »
Thanks tdsperch. Those Tyees look like nice boats. Deep boats with high freeboard which is what I have now but Im tired of almost hanging upside down over the gunwales just to rinse my hands, lol. Im hoping the Impact or Competitor can give almost as nice of a ride as the Tyee would.