Author Topic: Fishing Kayak Setup  (Read 2207 times)

Offline Stroudster

Fishing Kayak Setup
« on: July 23, 2021, 11:45:16 am »
I just finally pulled the plug and and bought myself an entry level fishing kayak.  Just wondering if some of you can share some pictures of your setups, and any tips for starting out fishing from the kayak.

Online LakeSimcoe MessageBoard

• Advertisement

Offline CrescentBeachBum2

Re: Fishing Kayak Setup
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2021, 12:53:22 pm »
Look back in the General Discussion forum to April 22, 2021.  I asked the same as you and got some great advice and Manta14 posted some great ideas
for rod holders and what not.

CBB

Offline Stroudster

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2021, 05:38:36 pm »
Thank you, I thought I remembered seeing something a while ago.

Offline mksouthon

• VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2021, 09:06:05 am »
Depending how you like to fish, I found that an anchor and anchor trolley are one of the most important features.  Some people like retractable anchor lines, I just tie little loop knots on mine every few feet so I can just clip the loop at the appropriate depth to my trolley.

That's all I find "necessary" on the kayak.  Others are nice to haves.  I don't mount my sonar as I have the striker 4 portable, which works great for carrying in and out for me.  I've also added a trolling motor and shoddy mount - need to upgrade the mount to something stronger long term.  Extension handle for the trolling motor has been the best purchase so I don't have to constantly reach back.  Then I added a Scotty rod Holder for trolling, and my milk crate for storing essentials and rods.  I can take pics this weekend when I get it back in the water if it helps?
« Last Edit: July 29, 2021, 09:08:45 am by mksouthon »

Offline Stroudster

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2021, 11:15:27 am »
A few pics would be helpful.  I just put the Scotty transducer mount on it yesterday.  Still debating on what to do for a transducer, either use my ice ducer, or buy another one.  How much anchor line do you use?

Online BB

• LOONY TOONER
  • VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2021, 03:00:19 pm »
A few pics would be helpful.  I just put the Scotty transducer mount on it yesterday.  Still debating on what to do for a transducer, either use my ice ducer, or buy another one.  How much anchor line do you use?

If there is no current, your ice ducer will work. It is what I have been using on my float boat so far,but have rigged a holder for my float boat . Today was the day to have the stable one ,as the current was very strong this morning . Being able to adjust to locate your bait is nice . You can buy a ducer holder for your yak. IMO,they are cheap . Just will not work for my float boat .

https://www.amazon.ca/Scotty-Transducer-Mounting-Included-Mounts/dp/B0174X6UNQ/ref=asc_df_B0174X6UNQ/?tag=googleshopc0c-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=293019541082&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=15727266004590837690&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9000801&hvtargid=pla-641875989352&psc=1

I have 150 ft of rope with a 5lb claw anchor with 4 ft of chain. Plenty for me and will be plenty for your yak.  I will get a pic for ya. I made a holder for the rope out of a cutting board from the dollar store. Just need a jig saw.  Bonus with the chain and claw is you get more holding. I can turn the trolling motor or just use the oars , and drag it . Stirs up the bottom . I dought you will be doing that with your paddle.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2021, 03:05:04 pm by BB »

Offline Stroudster

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2021, 03:39:21 pm »
That’s is the mount that I bought.  I have 2 ice ducers already so was hoping to hook one up on the mount.  I was thinking of using the kayak for deep water fishing so I may have to look at 150’ for an anchor line as well.