Author Topic: Talbot River Walleye Run  (Read 2240 times)

Offline Redmen

Talbot River Walleye Run
« on: April 27, 2021, 09:30:14 am »
This past summer I was out on the lake talking with another fisherman.  He mentioned that the Talbot River spring walleye run had decreased.  I hadn't been to see it in 8-10 years so with the warm weather and not working due to the pandemic, I figured I'd open the cottage early and take a run by.  I was there on April 2, 17 and 25th.  All 3 times I saw no walleye at the dam.  At the lower bridge, I saw 2 on April 2nd and 4 walleye on April 17th.  There were a few suckers following the walleye on the the 17th.  You can tell the difference between them with the walleye having a white tip on the tail.  I guess I'm just asking the question, has the run decreased to near non existence now?  The last time I was there it was still relatively thick.  I will admit I haven't had a walleye on my line in Simcoe since 2012.  Curious to know what others are seeing.

Online LakeSimcoe MessageBoard

• Advertisement

Online Brooktrout

• Hunting - something to do between fishing seasons!
  • VIP Member
Re: Talbot River Walleye Run
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2021, 10:01:07 am »
I haven't been to the Talbot in ages (10+ years), but have heard through the grapevine that the walleye don't run up anywhere as thick as they used to.  There was a time, you could walk across on their backs.

I wonder if they are spawning on shoals in the lake now?
I've spent most of my life fishing.  The rest I've wasted.

Online John Whyte

• Time on the Water
  • Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • Lake Simcoe Message Board
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2021, 11:32:55 am »
I believe they are spawning on shoals now. I see them on the shallow rocky flats and on points in the early spring.
I spend 250 days a year on the water and I still feel I'm missing Time on the Water.

Offline Fishead39

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2021, 07:40:45 pm »
Eight years ago I was at the Talbot to see the Walleye spawn.Two guys showed up with spears and A large cooler.We had to leave or get in trouble ! Spawning areas should be off limits to harvesters. At 16 per pound,what chance do they have of spawning ?

Online CrescentBeachBum2

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2021, 08:15:50 pm »
I haven't been to the Talbot since 2006 but they were thick when I went.  What is the reason they don't spawn successfully?
I have only heard about anyone catching small walleye once in all my years on Simcoe.

I once read that Cooks Bay was one of the best walleye fisheries in North America in the early 1900s.

Wish it still was a good walleye fishery.

CBB

Offline Fishfood

• VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2021, 08:41:34 pm »
Was at the dam twice first was early and then a few weeks ago, I saw a few walleye only a couple.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: April 27, 2021, 11:25:47 pm by Fishfood »

Offline Openfields

• VIP Member
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2021, 06:34:45 am »
Not sure about the Walleye, but their partners in crime....the Suckers, showed very healthy numbers this year where they gather and spawn in a creek next to me.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2021, 06:36:42 am by Openfields »

Offline wil wegman

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2021, 11:09:29 am »
Although Lake Simcoe was never considered a destination walleye fishery - many of us do fondly remember that amazing spring walleye run on the Talbot. Now however, it appears there is not much of a walleye run left on the Talbot River and overall the population in Simcoe seems to have decreased considerably. Like usual, there could be a host of factors contributing to lower numbers - everything from now long term filtering effects of quagga and zebra mussels, black crappie introductions (the two don't cohabitate well- walleye usually loose out) spiny water flea, possibly predation by round gobies and water level fluctuations in the spring.

Online BB

• LOONY TOONER
  • VIP Member
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2021, 03:53:28 pm »
If I am not mistaken,did they not close the season the same as white fish and lakers years back due to declining numbers and the easy harvesting out in front of the mouth, before the season closed end of March like pike ? I know I read many reports of huge number of anglers fishing for them after the white fish and laker season closed . ???

Online Mrbeee (Terry)

• VIP Member
  • Fishing God
    • lakesimcoemessageboard
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2021, 05:32:47 pm »
Yes  they did
Lake Simcoe the other Great Lake

Online Sportsman

• VIP Member
  • Its a life style which I'm enjoying
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2021, 07:11:15 pm »
Eight years ago I was at the Talbot to see the Walleye spawn.Two guys showed up with spears and A large cooler.We had to leave or get in trouble ! Spawning areas should be off limits to harvesters. At 16 per pound,what chance do they have of spawning ?
disgusting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Online Sunfish

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2021, 09:36:04 am »
disgusting

They were likely spearing suckers. Which I believe is legal

Offline Redmen

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2021, 03:34:47 pm »
Although Lake Simcoe was never considered a destination walleye fishery - many of us do fondly remember that amazing spring walleye run on the Talbot. Now however, it appears there is not much of a walleye run left on the Talbot River and overall the population in Simcoe seems to have decreased considerably. Like usual, there could be a host of factors contributing to lower numbers - everything from now long term filtering effects of quagga and zebra mussels, black crappie introductions (the two don't cohabitate well- walleye usually loose out) spiny water flea, possibly predation by round gobies and water level fluctuations in the spring.

Thanks for the response Wil.  I was kind of looking for your input.  My thinking with the walleye on Simcoe has been that if you really wanted to catch one you could.  Traditionally, I would see a few caught every spring in Barnstable Bay and then there were some spots(humps) out in the lake that would produce if you wanted to fish at night.  Obviously, having lights and a GPS were critical.  The reason I asked this question is that I haven't seen a walleye pulled out of Barnstable in 10 years and I tried fishing some spots at night that produced in the past with nothing to show.  This in combination with the lack of walleye run in the Talbot really makes me think that there has been a decline.  I would agree that Simcoe was never a walleye fishery but they were around and now it seems like they aren't.  Yes I have seen recent videos of some being caught but it just seems like now they are even more scarce.

Online Brooktrout

• Hunting - something to do between fishing seasons!
  • VIP Member
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2021, 04:15:56 pm »

Thanks for the response Wil.  I was kind of looking for your input.  My thinking with the walleye on Simcoe has been that if you really wanted to catch one you could.  Traditionally, I would see a few caught every spring in Barnstable Bay and then there were some spots(humps) out in the lake that would produce if you wanted to fish at night.  Obviously, having lights and a GPS were critical.  The reason I asked this question is that I haven't seen a walleye pulled out of Barnstable in 10 years and I tried fishing some spots at night that produced in the past with nothing to show.  This in combination with the lack of walleye run in the Talbot really makes me think that there has been a decline.  I would agree that Simcoe was never a walleye fishery but they were around and now it seems like they aren't.  Yes I have seen recent videos of some being caught but it just seems like now they are even more scarce.

From what I've seen from photos, the only ones being caught are big ones.  I haven't heard of any smaller ones being caught - to indicate that there is any successful natural recruitment.  (I personally have never caught one on Simcoe.)
I've spent most of my life fishing.  The rest I've wasted.

Online Sportsman

• VIP Member
  • Its a life style which I'm enjoying
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2021, 02:04:39 pm »
disgusting

They were likely spearing suckers. Which I believe is legal
Spearing Suckers ? Yes legal

I did watch a spear fisherman on the Moira river in downtown Belleville removing walleye as the fish were in their annual spingtime routine. 
I was disgusted by the spectacle and infuriated by the audacity of that native canadian within city limits as his filled his  flatbed truck