Author Topic: Smoking is good!  (Read 1449 times)

Offline Icecy

• VIP Member
Smoking is good!
« on: April 15, 2021, 03:35:43 pm »
That's if it's done in a smoker  :)

Online LakeSimcoe MessageBoard

• Advertisement

Online BB

• LOONY TOONER
  • VIP Member
Re: Smoking is good!
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2021, 04:18:46 pm »
SWEET ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

I take it that is the trout from the video friend ?

Online Dancing Rainbow

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2021, 08:09:35 pm »

Trout???

Offline Icecy

• VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2021, 10:05:21 pm »

You got it bud...  :)

Offline Icecy

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2021, 10:07:55 pm »

Trout???

Yup, a rainbow trout. It is also called a steelhead (a sea trout which returns to freshwater to spawn, only this one returns from a freshwater lake instead of the sea)

Here's the relevant bit from Wikipedia:
"The rainbow trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss) is a trout and species of salmonid native to cold-water tributaries of the Pacific Ocean in Asia and North America. The steelhead (sometimes called "steelhead trout") is an anadromous (sea-run) form of the coastal rainbow trout (O. m. irideus) or Columbia River redband trout (O. m. gairdneri) that usually returns to fresh water to spawn after living two to three years in the ocean. Freshwater forms that have been introduced into the Great Lakes and migrate into tributaries to spawn are also called steelhead."

« Last Edit: April 15, 2021, 10:23:02 pm by Icecy »

Offline fishfreek

• VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2021, 12:14:29 pm »
Wow she is bright. Lake O or GB? Nice job on the smoker, looks delicious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline fishfreek

• VIP Member
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2021, 12:22:20 pm »
Just seen the video, nice fish again. Know the area, congrats.

Offline Icecy

• VIP Member
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2021, 02:51:33 pm »
Just seen the video, nice fish again. Know the area, congrats.

Yup, it's a rather popular section of a rather popular stream. I normally go there during weekdays as the weekends are usually busy. Still, there were a lot more people there than a normal weekday (due to people who have more time available because of COVID).  The 3 guys seen on the video were fishing that bend for a while with no success. I didn't bother fishing it, just walked up north of them and fished the small deep channel at the head of the pool. The fish hit on my second cast.  We had a good amount of rain the day before, most streams in the area were blown, but this one clears pretty fast so two days after the rain it was very fishable. The fish must have entered the stream very recently, was all silver with no spawning colors.

I only keep a steelhead or two most years for smoking and this one fit the criteria rather nicely. Fresh and not too big (7lbs and 8 ounces)
« Last Edit: April 16, 2021, 03:00:10 pm by Icecy »

Offline fishfreek

• VIP Member
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2021, 03:05:53 pm »
Yes, a lot of guys donít even look at that spot close to the bank, they prefer the deep pool. Good on you.

Offline Icecy

• VIP Member
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2021, 03:15:19 pm »
Yes, some of the least expected spots hold fish especially on angler pressured streams like this one. Further upstream, north of CN tracks I have a spot where I can usually catch fish on every outing. It is a very small but deep pool that can be easily overlooked if you don't know about it already.  Fishing urban streams requires a lot of legwork if you want to be successful.

Online BB

• LOONY TOONER
  • VIP Member
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2021, 04:10:24 pm »
Yes, some of the least expected spots hold fish especially on angler pressured streams like this one. Further upstream, north of CN tracks I have a spot where I can usually catch fish on every outing. It is a very small but deep pool that can be easily overlooked if you don't know about it already.  Fishing urban streams requires a lot of legwork if you want to be successful.

That is the key work my friend. Many do not want to do, they just want the wheres.

Offline Icecy

• VIP Member
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2021, 05:07:07 pm »
That's so true Brian, I almost always reach and often exceed my "daily target of 10K steps a day"  when I go stream fishing. That's a long day of a lot of walking on uneven and often obstacles filled terrain, but the rewards of finding a new productive spot is well worth the hard work.

Offline fishfreek

• VIP Member
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2021, 05:14:58 pm »

That is the key work my friend. Many do not want to do, they just want the wheres.
Legwork and timing is key, thatís what separates you and the rest of them.

Online BB

• LOONY TOONER
  • VIP Member
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2021, 05:30:27 pm »
That's so true Brian, I almost always reach and often exceed my "daily target of 10K steps a day"  when I go stream fishing. That's a long day of a lot of walking on uneven and often obstacles filled terrain, but the rewards of finding a new productive spot is well worth the hard work.

I have been fly fishing a small river up here the past few years . Each outing,I go further and further and never see a sole, but I find the most beautiful fishing holes.There is probly another 5-8 miles more I have yet to see,but I will . Got to start packing a lunch or a frying pan for a shore lunch .LOL

Offline Icecy

• VIP Member
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2021, 06:09:27 pm »

I have been fly fishing a small river up here the past few years . Each outing,I go further and further and never see a sole, but I find the most beautiful fishing holes.There is probly another 5-8 miles more I have yet to see,but I will . Got to start packing a lunch or a frying pan for a shore lunch .LOL

Hehe, good on you. I've also made some beef jerky, so that I have something to chew on to recharge my body while searching along the streams next time around. I remember those days when i used to camp next to a stream the day before the opener and wait for the midnight for the first cast of the day. Those days are long gone and most streams around here are now so urban that if you wish to do a shore lunch you have to invite all the passerby's.....LOL

Here's a pic from 1999:
« Last Edit: April 16, 2021, 06:15:31 pm by Icecy »

Offline Icecy

• VIP Member
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2021, 06:11:10 pm »

Legwork and timing is key, thatís what separates you and the rest of them.

Yup, timing is key too.