Author Topic: Simcoe perch fishing  (Read 6320 times)

Offline super dave

Simcoe perch fishing
« on: February 21, 2021, 10:04:54 pm »
I should rename this post Simcoe exercise.   I took my son out 2 weekends in a row with only 2 small perch to show for it.   First VB where we got the 2 and today at Innisfil with a big skunk.   Wish I had some pics to share but cooking some shrimp on the buddy heater was the most interesting pic of the day.   We still had a great time and he's looking forward to next weekend.   
Any tips out there?   I don't care if we get dinks all day, I just want him to get the excitement of catching something.   Not looking for hot spots but if someone doesn't mind sharing a kid friendly spot, would really appreciate it. 
Thanks.

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk

Online LakeSimcoe MessageBoard

• Advertisement

Offline Letterman1

• VIP Member
Re: Simcoe perch fishing
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2021, 10:55:44 pm »
Have you tried Casey's in Port Bolster?  The ride out in his argo is an experience to remember alone, but I usually catch at least a few in that area.  I usually fish the south or east side so I can help u with other areas.  As far as the fishing goes, that's just the way it is.  You also have to change baits alot sometimes, minnows, small plastics, spoons, lipless cranks.  I know it's alot of work when you have children out with you but sometimes that what you have to do.

Offline Sportsman

• VIP Member
  • Its a life style which I'm enjoying
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2021, 10:19:42 am »
Take him to virginia beach

Offline super dave

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2021, 01:59:13 pm »
Hey guys. Thanks for the suggestions.   We did hit VB last weekend.   Maybe it's my lack of skill. .
I'll give it another go.   

Offline Sportsman

• VIP Member
  • Its a life style which I'm enjoying
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2021, 06:57:04 pm »
Hey guys. Thanks for the suggestions.   We did hit VB last weekend.   Maybe it's my lack of skill. .
I'll give it another go.   

Its a large area - move to s different spot  and notice how the bottom changes and if the fish relate to it.  Not so many fish then make a move and try again.
Also there is the presence of small perch to keep your youngster entertained.  I took my children there- fond memories
VB can be hit and miss -  weather is a factor on the fish but its an easy walk and u can park on the ice now

Offline adrian0524

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2021, 08:26:53 pm »
How deep were you fishing at VB? Usually a great abundance of perch, a lot of dinks but also a good chance of some big jumbos coming through. Try and locate some weed and sand bottom, I’ve had some luck fishing the 10-13ft range at VB. Good luck out there!

Offline super dave

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2021, 07:48:22 pm »
About 10 feet.  Small clumps of weeds.   The dinks were coming around but I could not get them to commit.   Minnows heads, slab grabber, really sml plastics.   Finally got 2 small ones on the slab grabber within 1 min then nothing again. 

Offline adrian0524

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2021, 08:24:41 pm »
Try moving a bit deeper maybe 12-13 feet. Some days they’re just tight lipped unfortunately. Give a slab grabber and high-hook with a plastic a try.

Offline Catcherman

• VIP Member
  • Boys go fishing. Men go Catching!
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2021, 01:43:11 pm »
Not sure what size and colour bead slabgrabbers you have, but if they are not interested in the 3” Simcoe slayer with the large chartreuse bead I would down size to a 2” with small yellow bead.  Attach a 1/16 split shot above your snap swivel and tip with a powerbait grub.  This will completely change the action and give a new smell along with taste for the perch.

I would also employ a walleye jigging technique when active fish are not visible.  Long slow 18-24” sweeps 3 times then wait 2 seconds with lure 12” or less from bottom.  If no fish are showing... one more 18-24” sweep and then wait 10-15 seconds.  Repeat... 3 sweeps...wait... one sweep wait.  Then when or if they show gauge their interest.  Patterns change and finding the right combination is what keeps me trying new things.

Good luck.  Had two of my daughters out last Sunday and had a blast.  One out fished her old man...  Create and cherish these times.

Brad

bd

Offline Icecy

• VIP Member
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2021, 08:57:45 pm »
Have you tried Casey's in Port Bolster?  The ride out in his argo is an experience to remember alone, but I usually catch at least a few in that area.  I usually fish the south or east side so I can help u with other areas.  As far as the fishing goes, that's just the way it is.  You also have to change baits alot sometimes, minnows, small plastics, spoons, lipless cranks.  I know it's alot of work when you have children out with you but sometimes that what you have to do.

We were at Port Bolster today running and gunning, staying in one spot, changing from minnows to variety of lures etc... Nothing made any difference. When the fish isn't there nothing makes a difference. I don't know where the heck they disappeared to, but last week same spots produced non-stop action for hours, today fish were nowhere to be found!!... Oh well, there's always tomorrow as they say.

Offline Salmon_slayer06

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2021, 06:34:15 am »
from my experience first ice and last last ice best time for this part of lake.

Offline Knotfishin

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2021, 08:36:38 am »
Good going to those that did find them this year, I didn't no matter what I tried.