Author Topic: Can anyone help or answer these issues.  (Read 4142 times)

Offline bigjaybear

Can anyone help or answer these issues.
« on: January 13, 2021, 07:38:44 pm »
I am sorry if this message is redundant, however nothing to clear for me. I live in southwestern Ontario area and was planning to rent hut for weekend and stay in hut overnight. This to me helps with social distance and such I feel as we bring our own stuff and no eating out or motels etc. My GF and her daughter want to come we all live in same home, and to be honest we want some sort or safe adventure because covid is driving us insane. We have been the people who have been safe and took this virus serious and still do.  I figured ice hut rentals and fishing pretty safe if operators do there part and I think most will. With that said I contacted a few hut rentals, one said max 3 people from same home, another said max 2 if not from same home and another said sorry we closed until the lockdown is over. Some open some not? And now with the other threads I read some say fishing not allowed, might get fined, some say fishing is ok. So I am asking if anyone on this board can clear this up? I am in limbo whether to send a deposit and plan a trip, if we could be fined. I am not trying to break laws, not trying to party or run the streets, just trying to get out of the house safely and breath some air. We get or groceries delivered and we have been pretty safe since this lockdown since may 2020, and that was our choice. So going fishing to me anyhow isn't hurting or putting anyone at more risk really is it?   We did Christmas alone, no kids Birthday party, no friends or family visits. but going fishing just the three of us away from people seems very safe and I can see no harm. Any one have any thoughts or direction?
My girlfriend in Perfect ! She is hot, sexy, young and very street smart. AS IN SESAME STREET

Online LakeSimcoe MessageBoard

• Advertisement

Offline mksouthon

• VIP Member
Re: Can anyone help or answer these issues.
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2021, 08:06:45 pm »
I'm fairly certain the rules are that operators are not allowed to tske any new bookings until after the lockdown that were not booked already before it started.  That said, I don't know if they can still go ahead with those bookings now with the new rules.  I think you're in the same boat as most of us in that we all want to follow the rules and be safe, but still get out and fish alone or with a family member from the same house.  Unfortunately nothing is clear, they say they may still allow skating rinks to stay open... I think if that's true then we should be ok to fish.  As mentioned in other posts though, it's the travel that may bite you

Offline bigjaybear

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2021, 10:02:39 pm »
ok well I think I have figured out the most ethical , or responsible thing. I guess we will just not travel for recreation. Not because I agree with it all or we will not be safe or safe to others but the fact of the travel restrictions. I am completely sick of covid. I miss my fishing on the ice. However I know many people still not getting on board with covid safe rules and do believe the rules should have been maybe this drastic the first lock down. So I feel my best option is to follow the rules, stay home, suck it up and not be any part of the problem. But it sucks big-time. Kudos to this board for allowing people to talk and digest all this craziness, So many opinions, some I agree, and some I don't however we all entitled to them. I will say this in closing. Ford and or Trudeau or any one else can never please everyone on everything, and I truly believe they are doing there best. So looks like I will start working on the new boat project for spring. Thanks everyone.
And to ALL OF THE SIMCOE AREA FISHERMAN please please save me a few jumbo's for next year, please. However you should know I am trying to get my crazy girlfriend to put a spell on simcoe so it gets no ice!!!!!
STAY SAFE AND GOOD LUCK EVERYONE. 
My girlfriend in Perfect ! She is hot, sexy, young and very street smart. AS IN SESAME STREET

Online Mrbeee (Terry)

• VIP Member
  • Fishing God
    • lakesimcoemessageboard
« Last Edit: January 14, 2021, 07:28:09 am by Mrbeee (Terry) »
Lake Simcoe the other Great Lake

Offline mksouthon

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2021, 07:25:55 am »
https://covid-19.ontario.ca/zones-and-restrictions

From the government website, if you search through it you'll see the same information applies to Ontario as Innisfil is following.  The direct quote from the site is:

Outdoor activities
Downhill skiing, golf courses and outdoor driving ranges are closed to the public. Maintenance is allowed.

Cross-country skiing, ice fishing, snowmobiling and dog sledding can stay open, as long as they follow public health requirements.

Online Mrbeee (Terry)

• VIP Member
  • Fishing God
    • lakesimcoemessageboard
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2021, 07:29:42 am »
He was talking about renting a hut and simcoe Muskoka has banned that as per the order in my above post

Offline mksouthon

• VIP Member
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2021, 07:46:22 am »
He was talking about renting a hut and simcoe Muskoka has banned that as per the order in my above post

Sorry I didn't clarify that part, yeah from all I have heard ice fishing is ONLY allowed if you stay in your region, and are using your own equipment.  You also need to stick to the outdoor gathering rules in place.

Offline magic

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2021, 09:45:08 am »
Fishing is only allowed if you stay in your region. Who or what decides the size of ones region? I have fishable areas within 5-10k. Am I good to go?

Offline fishfinder99

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2021, 10:01:16 am »
Fishing is only allowed if you stay in your region. Who or what decides the size of ones region? I have fishable areas within 5-10k. Am I good to go?

is this official or your guess?

Online Mrbeee (Terry)

• VIP Member
  • Fishing God
    • lakesimcoemessageboard
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2021, 11:19:13 am »
They have not set any limit on travel in fact has stated that inter provincial  is ok
It is going to be local Heath units who will advise municipalities and it is them who will restrict travel or parking in their area.  Just like Innisfil did in the spring

Offline Swamprat

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2021, 11:43:28 am »
Something I was worried about has happened in Quebec.  Abuse of powers. I won't quote anything but I think we should all read it.  It could happen while you take your trip.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/montreal-police-quebec-curfew-1.5870961

Offline mksouthon

• VIP Member
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2021, 11:57:59 am »
Something I was worried about has happened in Quebec.  Abuse of powers. I won't quote anything but I think we should all read it.  It could happen while you take your trip.

This is no more concerning than any other time you may get pulled over.  There will always be bad apples in the police who will let the power get to them, covid-19 or not.  We don't have curfew, so I would not expect to be getting pulled over unless you are violating any other laws or acting suspiciously, no different than yesterday.

Offline Fishfood

• VIP Member
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2021, 12:15:13 pm »

This is no more concerning than any other time you may get pulled over.  There will always be bad apples in the police who will let the power get to them, covid-19 or not.  We don't have curfew, so I would not expect to be getting pulled over unless you are violating any other laws or acting suspiciously, no different than yesterday.
Any vehicle carrying an atv or sled will be easy picking .  Especially leaving or near the city .

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

Offline mksouthon

• VIP Member
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2021, 12:19:16 pm »

Any vehicle carrying an atv or sled will be easy picking .  Especially leaving or near the city .

Hence the acting suspiciously part.  I wouldn't suggest moving around outside of your region unless you have to, but if you are in your region and behaving normally, you should not expect to get harassed any more than you would any other time, given you are following the rules.... If a cop is going to abuse their powers, they will find a way regardless of the current situation is my point.

Offline Wadgey

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2021, 12:40:43 pm »
Maybe someone can direct us to the Municipal, Provincial or Federal Legislation (Law) in Canada that obligates a motorist to tell the police where you are going and what you are doing. The Ontario Highway Traffic Act requires the driver of a motor vehicle to identify him/herself, ie- drivers license. That’s it.  Anyone???

Offline fishfinder99

« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2021, 12:57:37 pm »
Don't even pay attention to the tinfoils yelling no-travel between regions. They are just afraid of competition.
Fishing pressure from the south is coming, get ready boys  ;D

Offline fishfinder99

« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2021, 01:04:52 pm »
well said, copied

Stay-At-Home Order ---- is a name to certain rules/restrictions
we had had numbers (stage 1,2), then colors (red, grey), now we have a phrase, the fact stays the same - follow the listed rules

and this time the rules clearly says that outdoor activity permitted.

stop spreading misinformation

Offline Fishfood

• VIP Member
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2021, 01:08:12 pm »
Don't even pay attention to the tinfoils yelling no-travel between regions. They are just afraid of competition.
That's ok the more that come the more restrictions and less travel will be put on place . 

The choice is definitely yours I will choose to stay in my area . For at least the 28 days then fair game as much as we all hate this the more people don't listen it will only increase the restrictions .

The more that come will just start the process of closing access points. It already happened don't think for a moment they won't close them again.

Offline fishfinder99

« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2021, 01:11:19 pm »
That's ok the more that come the more restrictions and less travel will be put on place . 

The choice is definitely yours I will choose to stay in my area . For at least the 28 days then fair game as much as we all hate this the more people don't listen it will only increase the restrictions .

The more that come will just start the process of closing access points. It already happened don't think for a moment they won't close them again.

28 days eh, the magic number. i think i heard it in March, then in June, then again in September, then around Christmas.  ;D

Offline Catcherman

• VIP Member
  • Boys go fishing. Men go Catching!
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2021, 01:28:49 pm »
I recommend adhering to the public health directives...  especially ones with huge fines attached. 

We are in this mess at least in part to people not following directives.  This isn’t about fooling the authorities or finding work arounds.  It is about being realistic during these unprecedented times.  They closed ski hills in Ontario... only jurisdiction in North America to do so.  Don’t make the responsible anglers the next “only in North America” to be denied our winter hobby.

I’ve travelled North every year we have not had safe ice for January 1...  this year is the only exception.  Whether Nipissing, Larder Lake area or like last year Sudbury I travelled to safe ice.

BTW I’m a big booster of passionate out of town anglers dropping their lines into Simcoe water and dropping their post tax dollars at our Simcoe area businesses. 

Stay Safe Peeps!

Brad

bd

Offline Fishfood

• VIP Member
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2021, 01:30:39 pm »

28 days eh, the magic number. i think i heard it in March, then in June, then again in September, then around Christmas.  ;D
Lol yes will more likely be July  like last year

But hey at least I will have done my part lol. 28 days right   

This opportunity is to kill the economy that's it . Create more poverty and  divide the  poor and wealthy nothing more. Sad really to think it brings opportunity .

You can't fix something unless it's broken this opportunity is the break the economy to build back better.

We are being played big time I get that 

I won't shame you for coming  but the more that come the risk of all the access points being closed off to everyone.

It's why I secured a few spots of my own so I don't need to rely on access points lol. My oldest is willow beach jp area I will park there if the close up

Besides there is no good fishable ice till next week for Jumbo's lol. Will be a while yet to get some good ice going .

Offline fishfinder99

« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2021, 01:31:45 pm »
I recommend adhering to the public health directives...  especially ones with huge fines attached. 

We are in this mess at least in part to people not following directives.  This isn’t about fooling the authorities or finding work arounds.  It is about being realistic during these unprecedented times.  They closed ski hills in Ontario... only jurisdiction in North America to do so.  Don’t make the responsible anglers the next “only in North America” to be denied our winter hobby.

I’ve travelled North every year we have not had safe ice for January 1...  this year is the only exception.  Whether Nipissing, Larder Lake area or like last year Sudbury I travelled to safe ice.

BTW I’m a big booster of passionate out of town anglers dropping their lines into Simcoe water and dropping their post tax dollars at our Simcoe area businesses. 

Stay Safe Peeps!

Brad

bd

irrelevant
when you go skiing, you share lifts, washrooms, other common areas like lockers coffee shops.
when you go ice fishing, you share parking lot.

Offline Catcherman

• VIP Member
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2021, 01:50:19 pm »
Lol...  sure sure fishfinder99.  I was responding to the Original Poster, but thank you for your opinion...

Ski hills worked for months to prepare to address each and every one of the obvious things you listed.  Didn’t matter... govt  shut them down.

We don’t have an organizing body or association to lobby on our behalf like the Ski hills...  one screw up makes the news in my home town and municipal govt may take action against us...  hope if you and people like you want to drive to Simcoe you don’t share a vehicle or hut with anyone not from your household.  If you or anyone wants to fish Simcoe “you do you”... just please make smart decisions. 

Stay Safe Peeps!

Brad

bd

Offline fishfinder99

« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2021, 01:54:04 pm »
Lol...  sure sure fishfinder99.  I was responding to the Original Poster, but thank you for your opinion...

Ski hills worked for months to prepare to address each and every one of the obvious things you listed.  Didn’t matter... govt  shut them down.

We don’t have an organizing body or association to lobby on our behalf like the Ski hills...  one screw up makes the news in my home town and municipal govt may take action against us...  hope if you and people like you want to drive to Simcoe you don’t share a vehicle or hut with anyone not from your household.  If you or anyone wants to fish Simcoe “you do you”... just please make smart decisions. 

Stay Safe Peeps!

Brad

bd

me and my friends been driving fishing in separate cars since march, fill up gas near home, no stops for coffee or any other nonsense

Offline hitmanjc

« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2021, 02:35:32 pm »
Maybe someone can direct us to the Municipal, Provincial or Federal Legislation (Law) in Canada that obligates a motorist to tell the police where you are going and what you are doing. The Ontario Highway Traffic Act requires the driver of a motor vehicle to identify him/herself, ie- drivers license. That’s it.  Anyone???

The Solicitor General enacted the EMCPA Emergency Management and Civil Protection act on Mar 31. 

Search Breaching an Emergency Order during Covid 19 outbreak.  All in there. Power to obtain ID.

Offline dustybacon

« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2021, 02:52:20 pm »
https://www.ontario.ca/laws/regulation/r21008
I suspect once they ask your name, birth date, and address, they'll be asking what you're doing to determine if it falls under the necessary reasons for leaving your home under the stay at home order (https://www.ontario.ca/laws/regulation/r21011). I don't know whether or not someone would absolutely need to give a reason as to why they're out and about, but I suspect not answering the question will result in them being told to go home, with or without a fine accompanying them on the trip back.

Offline fishfinder99

« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2021, 02:57:55 pm »
https://barrie.ctvnews.ca/police-receive-direction-on-enforcing-ontario-s-stay-at-home-order-1.5266846

snitch lines are now open, call in, rat on your neighbor and get a cookie  ;D

Offline Catcherman

• VIP Member
« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2021, 05:02:53 pm »

me and my friends been driving fishing in separate cars since march, fill up gas near home, no stops for coffee or any other nonsense

Those are all smart decisions!   :)

Stay Safe!

Brad

bd

Offline The kayaker

« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2021, 07:16:35 pm »
I suspect once they ask your name, birth date, and address, they'll be asking what you're doing to determine if it falls under the necessary reasons for leaving your home under the stay at home order (https://www.ontario.ca/laws/regulation/r21011). I don't know whether or not someone would absolutely need to give a reason as to why they're out and about, but I suspect not answering the question will result in them being told to go home, with or without a fine accompanying them on the trip back.

This is straight from the Toronto Police Association.

Offline dustybacon

« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2021, 10:17:52 am »

This is straight from the Toronto Police Association.
Fair enough  8)