Author Topic: Jan. 12. First Simcoe Perch Fishn of 2021  (Read 1645 times)

Offline Catcherman

• VIP Member
  • Boys go fishing. Men go Catching!
Jan. 12. First Simcoe Perch Fishn of 2021
« on: January 13, 2021, 11:29:21 am »
Like many enthusiastic ice anglers I waited for the ice to form over my favourite early ice locations.  And waited And waited And waited...

With no safe ice on those places and a terrible mild week in the forecast I relented and sought out some safe ice anywhere on the lake to start the season.  Made contact with a couple diehards and plans were soon made to access a spot through a friend of a friends waterfront property.  Left the GoPro cameras, Aqua Vu recording device and even Helix7 at home.  Just wanted to wet a line and be out there... first FishnwithBrad segment of 2021 will have to wait.

Walked out while spudding and wasn’t impressed with what I saw.   6” mixed ice near shore quickly turned into 5” mixed ice.  We stopped where the pack ice met the new skim from the past week.  An average of 2.5”-3” of black ice...  not safe.

Set up just back from the new ice and played with dinks for a couple hours. 

Having quickly bored of this I tightened the straps on my Mustang suit, grabbed my spud, Aqua Vu,  a few rods and headed towards the sketchy ice.  I walked out onto the largest chunks of pack ice frozen in place by a maximum 3” of black ice.  Spudding and probing as I went. 

I was able to get a couple feet deeper and decided that was as far as I would go.  Spudded a couple of holes to fish and faced the camera downward.  Move and spudding effort payed off as I was treated to larger fish and even my first Jumbo of 2021. 

Packed up when the minor lunar ended and was home for a late lunch. 

My fishing pattern tips for this day (overcast, 10-20km SW wind, -3C):

-Fish were spooked very easily.  Even a shadow would send them scattering.  Typical early ice behaviour...  wait up to 30min for fish to show after drilling holes.  Don’t drill a hole and make a determination on fish quantity or quality right away... 

-Flash the lures/baits for 15 seconds up and down entire water column and then go still for 30 seconds or more...  fish would show up and then either bite or leave.  Keeping my presentation slightly higher in water column due to standing weeds brought in more fish. 

-Dark pattern plastic and live minnow triggered most strikes.  Larger and darker silhouettes attracted more fish.

-As usual biggest fish in pods came in last or next to last.  Don’t get too focused or react to what fish you see first.  Keep presentation still and wait. 

My ice condition advice:

I can’t stress enough how poor the ice is.  It was unnerving to hear running water as the wind whipped up the open water and splashed it onto nearby ice.  Having the equipment, knowledge and experience would mean nothing with a simple overnight dusting of snow...  5” turns into 2.5” with one misstep.  Spud, Spud, Spud...

Stay safe and good luck!

Brad

bd

Online LakeSimcoe MessageBoard

• Advertisement

Offline Livin4fishin

Re: Jan. 12. First Simcoe Perch Fishn of 2021
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2021, 12:27:22 pm »
Great informative report sir. Enjoy your detailed reports.  Always exciting to get out that first time each year. Fish or not. If only to work out the kinks with gear, technique, etc. As much as we all would like to get out and wet a line for the 1st of the season,  it is so important to be aware of ice conditions and ensure that you have all appropriate safety gear. it was good to see your emphasis on safety. Thanks for that.
L4F - There is more to fishin' than just fishin

Online Fishfood

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2021, 01:38:35 pm »
Awesome work

Next week it should finish up and seal the ice . Need a bit of snow on top to bring the fish in I think .

Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

Online BB

• LOONY TOONER
  • VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2021, 04:54:27 pm »
Oh me nerves,shiver me timbers .
Maybe I am getting old. LOL

Good read and good to see ya made it back to report .

OK,OK. I might of done the same if there were whities under the ice. LOL

Stay safe Brad.

Offline Grimsbygord

• Rookie
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2021, 07:10:11 pm »
Good report Catcherman, I enjoyed reading it.

Thank you

Offline Catcherman

• VIP Member
  • Boys go fishing. Men go Catching!
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2021, 11:45:20 am »
Thanks guys for the kind responses. 

I do take safety very seriously as my friends can attest.  That being said I took a level of risk that I would encourage many to avoid.  Float suit, spudding, ice picks, experience and two trusted people watching me from not far off gave me the risk/reward comfort to move where I did.  Without those pieces of equipment, experience and possible rescuers nearby I wouldn’t have... 

Don’t worry Brian this side of Simcoe has a few more sheltered areas to hold ice than your side... lol. Friends were out two days prior and conditions actually improved with a couple cold nights between.  There would have been a very large crowd if there was a public right of way or public property to access lake from.

Hopefully it holds through this mild weather and then grows so I can get to where I know the big girls like to feed... 

Stay Safe Peeps!

Brad

bd