Author Topic: Eskimo Pistol Bit auger vs. P1 Rocket Propane auger?  (Read 2320 times)

Offline loonietoonie

Eskimo Pistol Bit auger vs. P1 Rocket Propane auger?
« on: November 16, 2020, 03:09:30 pm »
Last year I moved up to a small Quickflip1 hut from my Quickfish3 hub hut and this year I'm looking to upgrade from my old Swede-Bore to either an Eskimo P1Rocket 8" propane auger or an 8" Pistol Bit paired with a Milwaukee M18FUEL brushless hammer drill. I fish Lake Simcoe, and the Haliburton area as well, fishing for perch to lake trout. It can get cold in Haliburton sometimes and I have fished -30 before when a battery might die.The current financial breakdown of these augers are that the Pistol Bit costs around $280-$300 for an 8" without the tax or possible shipping costs. Just the auger bit can cost as much as $368 when shipped from Cabelas to my house. The drill I want to pair it with is $420 before taxes, so around $475 with tax. Together it's about an $845 unit I think. The P1 Rocket is $690 before taxes. $780 after. However, there will be running costs of oil and propane. Also there are probably not many small engine mechanics that work on propane.  The P1 is 26lbs and the Pistol Bit is about 5lbs, not sure what the drill weighs. I usually tow the hut but I might walk occasionally depending on the situation so weight isn't the biggest issue but must be considered. It's not an easy decision to make, though the cost of either one is close enough to the other that money isn't a factor. Just what works the best for the situation. Anyone with experience in these two styles of augers would be appreciated, especially because I've heard about the oil leaks from Eskimo owners. (Apparently this is worse with the Jiffy). I don't have a lot of experience with power augers so anything is probably useful.

Online LakeSimcoe MessageBoard

• Advertisement

Online BB

• LOONY TOONER
  • VIP Member
Re: Eskimo Pistol Bit auger vs. P1 Rocket Propane auger?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2020, 04:59:03 pm »
IMO, there is nothing to worry about as far as the batterys go. I have been out in that temp and keep the battery in my bib. Others keep them in a insulated lunch bag with hand warmers. You can not use a propane auger to drill holes during the summer, but you can with the fuel. ;D

There are lots of threads here discussing your concerns.

One to start with

https://www.lakesimcoemessageboard.com/forums/index.php/topic,22341.0.html

Offline VB

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2020, 05:04:34 pm »
Get the drill and use your old auger. Last year I tried cutting 3 inches by hand on my first trip out with a 7 inch auger and couldnt get through lol. Bought new blades and never put them on as i tried it again with the m18 I was able to drill all winter long. Like BB said dont worry about the cold.

Offline cyrn

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2020, 07:15:59 pm »
We used the eskimo pistol all winter up north and it was amazing. Way lighter than a propane auger. we had the propane jiffy and after trying the pistol we sold our propane. This year strikemaster came out with a bit to use with a drill and it looks great and it is 229.00 at bass pro. u tube video shows it outperforming the pistol and the k drill. As far as the drill goes, i got a great deal on the dewalt dc996 with charger and 2x 5 ah batteries for 250.00 on kijiji.

Offline mksouthon

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2020, 08:48:59 pm »
I use an m18 drill with just a regular cheap 6” hand auger and, like VB said, it will go through anything even with dull blades.  I love it, and if you are a walker you will appreciate not having to lug the extra weight of the propane drill around.

My uncle had the pistol bit with his drill, and next to my cheap auger we don’t notice a major difference, except the size of the hole.

Offline simcoeslayer77

• VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2020, 10:08:07 pm »
I will never use a gas/propane powered auger again. Drove up north and it wouldn't start.  Bought the nils convertible and purchased a high torque Makita (1090 in lbs) for $230 as i already had a bunch of lithium ion batteries on hand. The nils has a removable handle so in the event something ever happened to the drill i can resort to hand bombing. NEVER AGAIN!

SS77

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Offline loonietoonie

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2020, 03:23:47 am »
Thanks for the link BB. I needed some assurance on how those drills perform in the cold. I will get the Pistol Bit and Milwaukee drill. Reliability, low weight, compact size,  and the center point and ring that keep it from "walking" when it starts to spin. BTW, has anyone cut a boot from an auger kicking sideways that didn't have the center point? It's a concern I have if I were to try using the old Swede Bore. THANKS...

Online BB

• LOONY TOONER
  • VIP Member
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2020, 05:30:34 am »
Thanks for the link BB. I needed some assurance on how those drills perform in the cold. I will get the Pistol Bit and Milwaukee drill. Reliability, low weight, compact size,  and the center point and ring that keep it from "walking" when it starts to spin. BTW, has anyone cut a boot from an auger kicking sideways that didn't have the center point? It's a concern I have if I were to try using the old Swede Bore. THANKS...

Never had this problem, but I use the curved blades. Also like I have said many times,do not push hard on the auger using the drill. My clam plate and drill is enough weight to let the auger drill by it,self.

Offline loonietoonie

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2020, 05:46:40 am »
Got the Milwauke drill and ordered the Pistol Bit.  A little more expensive than the propane but I think it will be worth it. Thanks to the members who gave their opinions on the subject for me. It was a big purchase for me and the information was very helpful. Thanks

Offline cyrn

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2020, 07:22:03 pm »
Eskimo pistol bit 8 ins is 229.00 starting this Monday at Cabela.

Offline Sofakingfishy

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2020, 09:08:33 pm »
You won't regret it because you will have an awesome drill to "F" with for the rest of the year

Online BB

• LOONY TOONER
  • VIP Member
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2020, 05:26:27 am »
You won't regret it because you will have an awesome drill to "F" with for the rest of the year

;D 8)

Offline KWslammer

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2020, 06:20:56 am »
The Pistol Bit auger looks very interesting and gets great reviews.  Many say the only flaw is that there seems to be no centering point.  This may be the case on an earlier version but the photos on the Cabelas site definitely shows a centering point. 

Wondering how you guys keep those expensive drills free of snow and rain while sitting out on the sled.  I assume some sort of bag?

Jake
><///(° >  ¿

Offline loonietoonie

« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2020, 08:42:24 am »
My Milwaukee came with a hard case that I plan to use. On cold days I can put hand warmers in there to help keep batteries warm or in the front of my hoodie. I ordered the 8" that has the center point but the 6" might not have it. I think there were previous years this was the case and may still be the case. If ordering the 6" you might want to call Cabelas to make sure. It's a nice feature.

Offline KWslammer

« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2020, 10:10:13 am »
My Milwaukee came with a hard case that I plan to use. On cold days I can put hand warmers in there to help keep batteries warm or in the front of my hoodie. I ordered the 8" that has the center point but the 6" might not have it. I think there were previous years this was the case and may still be the case. If ordering the 6" you might want to call Cabelas to make sure. It's a nice feature.
Thanks.  Will do
><///(° >  ¿

Offline xiaolu

• xiaolujin.com
  • VIP Member
  • xiaolujin.com
    • Fishing
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2020, 12:01:43 am »
The Pistol Bit auger looks very interesting and gets great reviews.  Many say the only flaw is that there seems to be no centering point. 
The Pistol Bit since last year (newer model) has added centering point.
xiaolujin.com ><((((">

Offline KWslammer

« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2020, 05:17:36 am »
The Pistol Bit auger looks very interesting and gets great reviews.  Many say the only flaw is that there seems to be no centering point. 
The Pistol Bit since last year (newer model) has added centering point.
Good to hear.  Thanks
><///(° >  ¿

Offline KWslammer

« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2020, 05:45:57 am »
I have the Fuel kit with the hammer drill and drill driver but did not come with accessary handle.  Are these handles available for sale separately?  Also wondering if the hammer drill is the appropriate tool for the job
><///(° >  ¿

Offline loonietoonie

« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2020, 08:51:47 am »
The model I bought for my Pistol Bit is the Milwaukee M18FUEL Hammer drill/driver with the brushless motor, stabilizer handle, and the 5 a/h batteries that comes in a hard case. The model # is 2804-22 and cost me about $450 after taxes and was cheaper at the store than listed online for some reason, (I was expecting to pay another $25). I don't know where to get a handle separately unfortunately. As for if it is the tool for the job, the major issue is torque. The Pistol Bit has a required torque of 725 in/lbs. If your drill is a brushless model then you shouldn't have problems as these drills produce 1200 in/lbs of peak torque, and maybe slightly more with a larger battery. However, if you are lacking a handle, power is nothing without control. You probably could try to use the drill without the handle but you could end up twisting your wrist if the auger were to bind in the hole making hook sets less comfortable. When drilling don't use the hammer drill function because it will beat up your blades. Just put it on the regular drill function for maximum torque. The driver function will engage the clutch to slip at it's torque setting so don't use that. Another tool I have seen online for drilling holes is a Milwaukee mud-mixer for mixing drywall compound in a bucket. These aren't a bad option if you have one because they should have the torque and the handles are offset at 180 degrees, (opposite from one another), unlike the 90 degree style of the Milwaukee hammer-drill. This might be more comfortable for some users.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2020, 10:13:09 am by loonietoonie »

Offline loonietoonie

« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2020, 04:54:05 am »
Cyrn was right. Pistol Bit is on sale $50 cheaper. If I waited it would not have been available online though. But Cabelas has them in Barrie still.

Offline Cavan Catcher

« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2020, 12:24:41 pm »
Home Depot has the rigid hammer drill on sale right now for $119. It comes with a 2ah battery.
You can also buy a 5ah battery for $199 and pick another free tool to go along with it.

Rigid tools also have a lifetime service agreement that includes batteries so if it ever stops working they will exchange it for free.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline loonietoonie

« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2020, 03:04:51 pm »
The 2 a/h battery may be a bit weak but might work. Something Eskimo mentions as a recommended requirement for the Pistol Bit is a hammer drill with a 4 a/h battery and stabilizer handle. How well and how long the auger would spin on a 2 a/h battery I don't know but I picked up my Milwaukee kit with the 5 a/h batteries because Eskimo recommends that drill and that a/h battery or higher for the auger. I went with that advice because I want to buy what is proven to work so I don't have to spend money and time later looking for the right solution after making the wrong choice.  For $199 , the Rigid 5 a/h battery would be great if it came with the hammer drill but it's not part of the promotion. On the Home Depot website the claim on torque is 700 in./lbs. and the recommended torque for the Pistol Bit is slightly more at 725 in./lbs.  I've seen them chew through ice pretty good on Youtube though and they don't seem to make a bad drill. Particularly for the price. The ones I've seen were paired with a higher a/h battery though (6-12 a/h). Considering the Milwaukee cost a bit over $450 with tax as a kit with the drill, charger, hard case, and 2 batteries, the Rigid is a good deal for the money. I think getting the higher a/h battery would be a good decision. Especially if you're going to move around chasing fish with "run and gun" tactics that requires a lot of drilling.

Online BB

• LOONY TOONER
  • VIP Member
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2020, 03:56:09 pm »
If you are not aware LT, you can ratchet the chuck right down tight , and click it back one click. That will lock the chuck for you. Many that buy this drill, do not know this.

Offline loonietoonie

« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2020, 04:28:58 am »
Is this on my Milwaukee? I definitely don't want to lose my auger. A good thing to know even with the flange at the top. I am expecting the auger to arrive today. If I can lock the chuck would I be able to spin the auger in reverse? I have seen some electric augers use the reverse mode to flush the slush down the hole. Does this work or will the slush come back up? Thanks for the tip BB.

Online BB

• LOONY TOONER
  • VIP Member
« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2020, 05:40:32 am »
Is this on my Milwaukee? I definitely don't want to lose my auger. A good thing to know even with the flange at the top. I am expecting the auger to arrive today. If I can lock the chuck would I be able to spin the auger in reverse? I have seen some electric augers use the reverse mode to flush the slush down the hole. Does this work or will the slush come back up? Thanks for the tip BB.

Yes, it is a feature on the drill. I do not flush reverse. I just go up and down to clear the hole. I only use like I said,6" .

Offline VB

• VIP Member
« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2020, 07:43:59 am »
If you are not aware LT, you can ratchet the chuck right down tight , and click it back one click. That will lock the chuck for you. Many that buy this drill, do not know this.
Wish I knew that 2 years ago lol. I nearly lost a bit my first season with it and have been checking the tightness  after every 10 holes. Thanks for the tip!

Online Mrbeee (Terry)

• VIP Member
  • Fishing God
    • lakesimcoemessageboard
« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2020, 07:54:16 am »
To me the clam auger plate solved most problems with using a drill including bit falling though the hole and needing a handle and twisting your wrist from torque
Lake Simcoe the other Great Lake

Offline loonietoonie

« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2020, 09:42:55 am »
I was wrong about the Rigid hammer drill. I saw a guy use the 2 a/h batteries on a Nils auger and it worked. I also found a video on Youtube of an auger company called Razr. www.razrpowr.com They sell a power auger with 40V, 24V, 43c.c. gas powerhead, and a brushless drill option called the Scout. The drill auger comes with an extension, handle for hand auger use, a bar at the top of the auger to  prevent it going down the hole, curved blades and I even think they put a center point on there. Looks very stable. Best of all they're selling it on their website for under $100 U.S. It's heavier than the Pistol Bit I bet but might last longer since it's made of real steel and the hand auger handle with the extension is great. One problem is they're sold out of 8" augers, but the 6" is still available along with a 4" and a 5", also there is no ring at the bottom of the auger (minor). It might cause a sharp drop in price for these cordless drill augers making a cheap option for those who want a simple power auger. Maybe next year the price I paid on the Pistol Bit I ordered will be dropped significantly and/or have new features added. The included hand auger handle would be a good start to making it more versatile and useful in case drill batteries die. The Pistol Bit is no doubt lighter but so is my wallet. No regrets yet though, less weight makes pulling easier and fishing more enjoyable.

Offline porkpie

« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2020, 08:25:33 pm »

To date, never had it happen.  Anything is possible?

Offline Dave Chong

« Reply #29 on: November 26, 2020, 10:06:37 am »
Here is my setup from last year with a Milwaukee Fuel 18 Drill, a Clam Auger Plate and a 8" HT E-Drill! This set-up worked like a charm and everyone who had a chance to try it were supper impressed with it! I never ran out of power with a 5ah battery, drilling as many as 60 holes in a day! The drill is by far your biggest expense, my Milwaukee has been rock solid and I'm not familiar enough to comment on Rigid, DeWalt or other brands. The E-Drill is great value & worked great and the Clam auger plate adapter takes all the torque, etc.

Offline loonietoonie

« Reply #30 on: November 26, 2020, 11:41:01 am »
Nice rig Dave. For future reference, what is the cost of the auger? My drill kit was $450, a Milwaukee like yours. The Clam adapter is around $100 to $120 I think. If it is cheaper than a Pistol Bit setup then it might be a better option. Probably weighs heavier and takes up more space with the Clam adapter but it would be nice to have the handles to make it more comfortable to operate.