Author Topic: Long time no post...Kawartha lake Musky  (Read 2321 times)

Offline randaller

Long time no post...Kawartha lake Musky
« on: October 20, 2020, 09:46:02 am »
Its been a long time since I've posted a report but I have a few minutes today and I just got back from a musky trip (and actually caught something) soooo...

We just had our second child and my parents drove up from Nova Scotia to help out, which means my mom babysits the oldest and my dad and I get to go fishing. He has always wanted to catch a musky as they don't have any in NS, so we headed to the Kawartha Lakes area. He is a die hard bass fisherman so it was going to be a challenge to get him to commit to throwing those big musky baits all day long. About 1.5 hours into the day without moving a fish, Dad picked up his senko rod and gave up on musky. Almost immediately after that I hooked into this scrappy 42" fish that hit boat side.

This guy smashed a Phantom Soft tail. I've fished this bait a lot over the years but this is the first fish I've caught on it. After that, the senko rod went away and my Phantom Soft tail was quickly taken from me. I was hoping that a feeding window had opened up so I let him fish the prime spots from the front of the boat as I threw a green and black slopmaster into the deeper water off the back. It only took 20 minutes before this pretty 37.5" smashed it and ended up in the net.

After letting this guy go my slop master was quickly taken from me :-). Unfortunately, the bite stopped after that so we decided to try for some smallmouth in a deeper section of the river. I've seen a few walleye over the years in this river but have never caught one until now. This scrappy guy engulfed a Max scent shaky head worm just off a deep crib.

With only a few small smallmouth to show for our efforts I convinced dad to go back to musky fishing. Another few hours went by without moving a fish so we decided to head for the launch. I had on a small single bladed super bou bucktail (a bait that I've taken a bunch of musky on over the years) and in almost the exact same spot as the first fish, this 34.5"er smashed it.

At this point dad had completely given up on musky and just wanted to warm up in the car. He was a great net and camera man but I don't think he will be wanted to fish for musky any time soon.

Looking forward to getting back out there!

Randaller
https://www.randaller.fish

Online LakeSimcoe MessageBoard

• Advertisement

Offline Livin4fishin

Re: Long time no post...Kawartha lake Musky
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2020, 10:03:36 am »
Wow. That was some awesome fishin there fella. That would constitute an amazing day in my books. Have to say I feel sorry for your father though.....however always nice to experience those special memories with your Dad. Great pics.
L4F - There is more to fishin' than just fishin

Offline randaller

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2020, 10:35:24 am »
Wow. That was some awesome fishin there fella. That would constitute an amazing day in my books. Have to say I feel sorry for your father though.....however always nice to experience those special memories with your Dad. Great pics.
\

I felt bad for him too. We are heading Pike fishing this weekend so I hope he redeems himself
https://www.randaller.fish

Offline The Red Rocket

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2020, 10:46:35 am »
One day last year I went musky fishing in Sturgeon Lake with a buddy. For about 4 hours we threw a variety of big musky baits without success then decided to switch to bass to soothe our shattered egos. First cast with a 2-3/4" ned rig he hooked up .... with a good-sized musky! Go figure!

Nice day on the water, Matt, I'm sure your dad was thrilled. I know I would be.

Online Mrbeee (Terry)

• VIP Member
  • Fishing God
    • lakesimcoemessageboard
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2020, 11:51:12 am »
Wow great fish
Lake Simcoe the other Great Lake

Offline BB

• LOONY TOONER
  • VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2020, 04:01:12 pm »
Good to hear from you and grats on the new addition bud.

Some nice fish there.   8)

Offline Brooktrout

• Hunting - something to do between fishing seasons!
  • VIP Member
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2020, 09:19:08 am »
Looks like a great day on  the water.  I consider myself lucky to catch one musky per season (mind you, I don't target them). 
Well done.  (Also congrats on the addition to the family!)
I've spent most of my life fishing.  The rest I've wasted.

Offline Jake Trout

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2020, 07:15:48 am »
Well done, what a great day!

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk

Offline Kaas65

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2020, 04:11:39 pm »
What a great day and to share it with your Dad, just awesome.  Also, congrats on your second.

Offline alan01

• Rookie
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2020, 06:18:29 pm »
Great catch and photos!