Author Topic: Great Spawn Year on Simcoe  (Read 2110 times)

Offline John Whyte

• Time on the Water
  • Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • Lake Simcoe Message Board
Great Spawn Year on Simcoe
« on: June 20, 2020, 08:17:22 am »

Great Spawn Year on Simcoe[/size]So encouraging to see so many fry of all sizes. A very staggered spawn this year with first wave more than a month ago. Incredible participation as well. It's been a long time since I have seen so many beds. Some already dusted in and some new. The final wave are on the beds now and still the odd new pair just getting started.The lake really needed another good year class. Bass opens next Saturday so if you are out, please try to refrain from taking fish off beds for another week. We will all be rewarded in the future.

[/color]
I spend 250 days a year on the water and I still feel I'm missing Time on the Water.

Online LakeSimcoe MessageBoard

• Advertisement

Offline fishfreek

• VIP Member
Re: Great Spawn Year on Simcoe
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2020, 08:52:02 am »
Great update as always and good advice, thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline ROFF

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2020, 10:05:55 am »
That’s great news.  It’s also good that there will not be any tournaments on the lake for the first couple weeks of the season.  The fish won’t be plucked off their beds and tossed in livewells for the day, then driven to the port of Orillia.
The fun is in the finding and the catching, not in the catching and the killing.  C&R for the future

Offline Toothhealer88

• VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2020, 03:47:20 pm »
Nice to hear and your pics are truly amazing.

Offline Mauro

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2020, 02:26:14 pm »
That’s great news.  It’s also good that there will not be any tournaments on the lake for the first couple weeks of the season.  The fish won’t be plucked off their beds and tossed in livewells for the day, then driven to the port of Orillia.
I think no tournaments will make a huge difference to the spawn this summer. Almost can’t wait a few years when all those fingerlings are 4 lbers.
I’ve also noticed HUGE schools of shiners all over. Certainly much more than I’ve ever seen. That will help the food chain to grow those monster perch. I wonder if the few weeks of low pressure due to Covid19 made a difference this year.

Offline ROFF

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2020, 04:23:36 pm »
I think no tournaments will make a huge difference to the spawn this summer. Almost can’t wait a few years when all those fingerlings are 4 lbers.
I’ve also noticed HUGE schools of shiners all over. Certainly much more than I’ve ever seen. That will help the food chain to grow those monster perch. I wonder if the few weeks of low pressure due to Covid19 made a difference this year.

The shiner population is very strong again.  You’ll start to see a lot of fish key in on the shiners certain times of the year.  There will be days when there on shiners, and days when they’re on gobies.  It’s good for the lake to have a healthy shiner population again.

The fun is in the finding and the catching, not in the catching and the killing.  C&R for the future

Offline Salmon_slayer06

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2020, 04:56:54 pm »
sounds like goby numbers are coming down to have that many bass fry

Offline SpriteMcBain

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2020, 07:16:02 pm »
So many shiners this year.....during the midge hatch for days on end the water seemed like it was boiling with all the shiners feeding on them. Never seen that before.

Also my 8 year old nephew caught a 20.25 inch smally last week off the dock with a worm fishing for gobies. We got it back safetly but i couldn't help but notice this fish was healthy (no marks on it). If it was a female it spawned a long time ago, if it was a male it's in great shape. It wasn't on a nest or anything as i saw where he casted it. It had 2 smaller bass following it when it was hooked. Seems like this year could be an amazing one for bass anglers across the board.