Author Topic: Tiffin St Launch  (Read 979 times)

Online Fisherman

• VIP Member
Tiffin St Launch
« on: May 29, 2020, 08:43:06 pm »
I see there's a "New" sign beside the Tiffin St boat launch, non residents pay for parking and $10 for launching.  Their instructions are like chinese, make no sense when it comes to paying for the launch, if someone has a disabled pass they don't have to pay to park only to launch.  Anyone have a sane idea how that can be done.  I tried to call city but hopes of getting an answer didn't happen.

Online LakeSimcoe MessageBoard

• Advertisement

Offline tacklebuster

Re: Tiffin St Launch
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2020, 09:00:45 pm »
I would assume that if you're not local you will get a ticket.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: May 29, 2020, 09:31:15 pm by tacklebuster »

Online Fisherman

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2020, 09:28:49 pm »
That's the problem,  I don't mind paying the $10 for launching, but how is beyond me, there's no "button" on the machine to "pay for launching".  Maybe I'll try calling again monday.

Offline Leonoid007

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2020, 11:10:46 pm »
Does it start with $10? Can you just print when it's $10? Very confusing indeed.

Offline Predator 18

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2020, 11:44:43 pm »
I see there's a "New" sign beside the Tiffin St boat launch, non residents pay for parking and $10 for launching.  Their instructions are like chinese, make no sense when it comes to paying for the launch, if someone has a disabled pass they don't have to pay to park only to launch.  Anyone have a sane idea how that can be done.  I tried to call city but hopes of getting an answer didn't happen.

You are right, it is not clear and is confusing.   I am non resident and paid for parking last fall.  I could not figure out how to pay for launching.

The city’s collector happen to come by and I asked about payment for launching.  He advised that the $10 is automaticity added to your charge when you choose to pay for parking.

I later checked the receipt and he was right; an extra $10 buck was added to the selected time for parking.

I would reasonably presume residents are exempt to the launch charge if they are exempt for parking..... but like you say, better check with the city to confirm....

Offline Grandpa Jim

• VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2020, 07:59:34 am »
Just to add to the confusion. There is extensive roadwork underway with actual road closures but there is still a short section of access from the south end of the Lakeshore to the Tiffin Launch.
When the western skies turn black, I'll be heading on back to the lee of Christian Island!

Offline Dewtwo

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2020, 11:12:44 pm »
So how much is it for a non resident to launch and park..

Online Fisherman

• VIP Member
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2020, 09:37:12 am »
Well a week later and I did get an answer from the traffic division that deals with the parking meters at the boat launch.  The situation I presented to them had not been thought of, non resident with handicap permit but wants to launch a boat.  You start the process by paying for the shortest amount possible, they said .25c and then the machine automatically adds $10 for the boat launch.   They are going to review the system for better programming.

Offline The Red Rocket

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2020, 10:20:16 am »
Do locals have to pay anything for their annual parking pass or is it free for the asking.

For the record, I'm in favour of visitors having to pay a reasonable amount for parking and launching. Many, if not most, visitors add very little to the economy of towns yet the taxpayers must still pay for land for the parking lots, maintenance of them, garbage collection, etc. and the same for the launches. The situation at municipally owned parks is similar and normally there is no charge per use as there usually is in provincial and national parks. Property owners are subsidizing visitors' use of municipally owned property for little economic benefit. Please don't throw anything at me when I drive by you! (lol)

I do, however, object to restricting access to the lake to locals and/or excessive fees for visitors.

Online Fisherman

• VIP Member
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2020, 11:16:22 am »
No, residents of Barrie get 2 passes for their use, no charge, they pay enough taxes.  As a non resident, I find $10 quite acceptable for launching there, nice double wide cement ramp and parking is ok too.  Would be nice to have a Johnny rocket to got for a pee if the fairy hits you with the pee now wand.