Author Topic: Stainless Steel Prop Selection  (Read 1099 times)

Offline SpriteMcBain

Stainless Steel Prop Selection
« on: April 29, 2020, 09:05:07 pm »
I've been doing some research on props and I'm looking to increase my top speed for those longer trips across simcoe. I have a suzuki 140 and I'm wondering if a 28p is what I'm after? I think the part number is even 99105-00700-28P. My question is if I pick the highest pitch will I still be able to tow someone on a tube or on skis with the slower hole shot? No clue what I'm doing just searching around online but an opinion from someone who knows more would be helpful. Boat currently has an aluminum prop, unsure of the pitch. Whatever it came with. (Alumacraft competitor 175)

Online LakeSimcoe MessageBoard

• Advertisement

Online tacklebuster

Re: Stainless Steel Prop Selection
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2020, 09:20:11 pm »
My dad used to have a 17.5 ft fiberglass with a 120 io Merc, and I loved water skiing. He had a 19 pitch prop and then went to a 21 pitch to get more top speed. It took a bit longer to get out of the water or to reach plane but it was okay.  I would think that the weight of your boat would impact which pitch would give you the best performance.  Maybe the props are better engineered now, but 28 pitch seems quite high. For tubing it probably doesn't matter as much, for any kind of boarding or skiing it does make a difference, nobody like getting dragged through the water.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

« Last Edit: April 29, 2020, 09:24:23 pm by tacklebuster »

Offline Thinlips

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2020, 10:45:28 pm »
pitch is stamped on hub of the prop.....  keep in mind that the SS prop  is WAY stronger and harder than alum.  one adventure with a rock could cost you a gear case rather than a prop. 

Online Mrbeee (Terry)

• VIP Member
  • Fishing God
    • lakesimcoemessageboard
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2020, 06:35:58 am »
Most SS props have a rubber hub that breaks away to prevent any damage to the lower unit
As for a 28 p. The questions are what pitch do you have now and do you reach max rpms at less then full throttle
There is a point of diminished return
So if you use a 26 p now and have a great hole shot and reach max rpm with more throttle to go a 28 p may work
But if you have a 19 right now and can put the throttle all the way  , then not a hope in hell
Lake Simcoe the other Great Lake

Offline jsgard

• Rookie
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2020, 07:24:21 am »
I have a Suzuki 140 on a Starcraft 18' full windshield deep V. i have 2 props. A 19 and a 21 pitch. With the 21 I get about 42 mph by myself. The 19 goes just under 40. With another fisherman in the boat and his gear the 19 definitely has a better hole shot. Depending on the year of your 140 the lower unit gear ratio could be different. The older ones had a lower ratio. it changed around 2008 to a higher ratio.
28P would be for more of a lighter flat bottomed, modified V boat. if you have a deep V boat you lose some speed for the smoother ride.

Offline Fishing Rod

• VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2020, 10:41:58 am »
I'd call Marsh's Marine. They sell a ton of this set up.
No way you can run a 28 pitch.

Offline Garnet

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2020, 11:13:24 am »
Spinning hub is old time. All the new props have a plastic wedge piece. Looks like a Christmas tree.

If you prop for top end speed you will lose hole shot and grip when you need to accelerate.

If you are facing a wall of water and try to drive around you will blow out (prop spins no grip).

Top end speed on Simcoe is useless very seldom can you run anything wide open.

You prop a boat for good holeshot and your max rpm just under your redline.

Offline fishabout

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2020, 01:06:45 pm »
What pitch prop do you run now. What is your max rpm now? I have 140 Suzuki on a 17"6 starcraft. I run a 21 pitch 4 blade. 4 blade is a few mph slower.   The 140hp Suzuki uses small hub props. Don't think you will be able to run a 28 pitch and your rpm would be way to low for that engine.  You should be in the 5800 -6200 range.

Offline SpriteMcBain

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2020, 01:18:49 pm »
The number I see on it is 8x14x23. Its the factory prop i assume. Goes about 40mph. Unsure of the rpms which I will check when I'm back on the water.

Offline fishabout

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2020, 01:27:06 pm »
Most boats that size have a 21 pitch. I'm getting 44mph now with trolling motor and batteries in boat now. Without I get 48mph.  Without knowing your max rpm can't say if you should go higher or lower in pitch.

Online Mrbeee (Terry)

• VIP Member
  • Fishing God
    • lakesimcoemessageboard
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2020, 02:06:49 pm »
Oh and  most likely you will not be able to tow a skier

Offline Captain Steve

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2020, 05:32:14 pm »
Spinning hub is old time. All the new props have a plastic wedge piece. Looks like a Christmas tree.

If you prop for top end speed you will lose hole shot and grip when you need to accelerate.

If you are facing a wall of water and try to drive around you will blow out (prop spins no grip).

Top end speed on Simcoe is useless very seldom can you run anything wide open.

You prop a boat for good holeshot and your max rpm just under your redline.
Well said.     Stainless props are $800+ each. You cant go up or down in pitch with out the sacrifice of top end or bottom end.  If your boat tops out at 40 I would say you're doing well. Leave the current spec prop and switch to stainless.

If all you did was wanna go fast then go up in pitch.       If all u did was tow skiers then drop pitch.  But since u want to do both, and are happy with hole shot and speed then dont mess around with props.  If the boat was bought as a package then the manufacturer probably spent some time selecting a good middle of the road performance prop for the specs of ypur rig

Sent from my SM-N960W using Tapatalk

There is a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore  like an idiot.

Offline Captain Steve

« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2020, 05:36:19 pm »
I should probably add a stainless prop of the same spec will definitely give you better performance as there is no flex to it.   The aluminum does flex and loose out on performance. So ur hole shot and top end will be noticeably better.

Sent from my SM-N960W using Tapatalk

There is a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore  like an idiot.

Offline Fishing Rod

• VIP Member
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2020, 09:27:07 am »
Don't forget there are many more things than pitch.
Your best bet is to fine a prop shop that will let you test different ones.
Of course you will be paying full price for the prop as it's not Kijiji.

Offline Backwoodsmanbob

• backwoodsmanbob
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2020, 06:19:03 pm »
I have a 5 blade S/S prop on my Merc Verado 150 hp. On a Lund 19 foot. Get great hole shot and 55 mph wot. But check with the pro's for good info.

Offline Garnet

« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2020, 06:34:56 am »
Of course it gets more complicated.

Lets say you have good hole shot but are falling 250 rmp short of max or redline.

You can move your motor up 1 hole and get 200 rpm. You must watch your water pressure. Jack plate makes this easy.

Lets say you blow out some on hole shot but your max rpm is perfect say 125 rpm below max.

You can get plugs, theirs 4 holes around stainless props you might plug 2 problem goes away.

Lets say you blow out bad but still have good rpm just below max.

You can get a prop ring it's a rubber band goes on prop between case and prop.

My boat Procraft 200 I run both prop ring and plugs 2 holes, these jewels are about $10 each just magic cheapest fix in boats.

Offline Sportsman

• VIP Member
  • Its a life style
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2020, 12:19:59 pm »
One prop for towing . Separate prop for speed
Cant have one prop to perform both jobs well

Offline Garnet

« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2020, 02:40:55 pm »
Lot's of Erie guys had Hi Five to run big lake then switched to more speed prop fore smaller water.

The fast prop would be 2 blade clever prop, would never work on fishing boat.

Offline SpriteMcBain

« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2020, 02:49:35 pm »
Update on this. After some googling this motor cruises at 4000 rpm and top end is 6000. When I went out today I cant get to 6000 rpm. Throttle tops out at 5300 or so. Does that mean I have too much pitch and I'm getting slippage with the current setup?

Offline Thinlips

« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2020, 04:17:29 pm »
so this is with  what you are assuming is the 23 pitch prop?   RPM gauges on boats can be a little deceptive,  try tapping the gauge next time out and see if the rpm changes !!!   does not mean you are "slipping"  may mean you have more bite with prop than you have HP to turn it.   this can put some extra load on the motor......  like its working hard all the time.   and how much other crap and peeps were in the boat? 

Online Mrbeee (Terry)

• VIP Member
  • Fishing God
    • lakesimcoemessageboard
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2020, 04:27:37 pm »
Not slipping
Try to get your hands on a 19 p and see if you get closer to max rpm without losing any top end

Online VB

• VIP Member
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2020, 04:36:26 pm »
I just read all that and have no idea what's going on but begs me to ask a question lol. I have a 25hp honda and top speed on a calm day is 20mph according to my handheld gps. Will changing to a different prop do anything for a motor that small or should I be thankful to get the speed that I get lol?

Offline SpriteMcBain

« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2020, 05:02:07 pm »
so this is with  what you are assuming is the 23 pitch prop?   RPM gauges on boats can be a little deceptive,  try tapping the gauge next time out and see if the rpm changes !!!   does not mean you are "slipping"  may mean you have more bite with prop than you have HP to turn it.   this can put some extra load on the motor......  like its working hard all the time.   and how much other crap and peeps were in the boat?

Its hard tell but its either a 26p or a 28p. I assume 26 because I can't imagine the dealer put on a 28. He was the only owner and said its the original prop. Ill tap the rpm dial next time I'm out to see if it moves. Its hole shot seems poor but I'm coming from a much lighter boat where I could keep the trim up and get out of the hole just fine.

Online Mrbeee (Terry)

• VIP Member
  • Fishing God
    • lakesimcoemessageboard
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2020, 05:10:09 pm »
The number I see on it is 8x14x23. Its the factory prop i assume. Goes about 40mph. Unsure of the rpms which I will check when I'm back on the water.
Now Iím confused
I thought you said it was a 23  and was thinking about putting a 28 on it
Now you are saying it may already have a 28?

Offline SpriteMcBain

« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2020, 05:32:16 pm »
3,6,8 look similar. I see I wrote 23 before and I got that number off it when it was in the laneway so thats likely what it is. I ran out and its on a lift and I couldn't get super close. Sorry for the confusion. If I'm not reaching peak rpm do I want a higher pitch or lower?

Online Mrbeee (Terry)

• VIP Member
  • Fishing God
    • lakesimcoemessageboard
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2020, 06:11:12 pm »
Lower pitch

Offline Thinlips

« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2020, 07:09:23 pm »
this may help your visualization of PITCH......... assume the prop is sitting in a block of jello:   for example.........  17 pitch would run forward 17 inches in the block of jello in one revolution..........  23 pitch would run forward 23 inches in one turn......

Offline SpriteMcBain

« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2020, 09:15:04 pm »
Super helpful. Thanks everyone!