Author Topic: Fishing Regulations for Lake Simcoe  (Read 37265 times)

Offline John Whyte

• Time on the Water
  • Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • Lake Simcoe Message Board
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 11:08:02 am by redfish »
I spend 250 days a year on the water and I still feel I'm missing Time on the Water.

Online LakeSimcoe MessageBoard

• Advertisement

Offline Miha

• VIP Member
    • The Outdoors Portal for Russian-Speaking Community
Re: Fishing Regulations for Lake Simcoe - a little correction
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2012, 09:44:09 am »

Offline John Whyte

• Time on the Water
  • Administrator
  • VIP Member
Re: Fishing Regulations for Lake Simcoe
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2012, 11:08:19 am »
Thanks Miha
I spend 250 days a year on the water and I still feel I'm missing Time on the Water.

Offline loganspass

• Rookie
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2012, 09:20:09 pm »
I Thought They Would Open The Herring Season This Year,Seen large Skools Of Them,maybe to a two fish limit,I Think the fishery could substain that now but i,m not an expert on it.

Offline John Whyte

• Time on the Water
  • Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2012, 04:39:37 am »
So far the ministry is only seeing a few year classes. They would want to see a more consistent trend of natural recruitment before considering a harvest limit. 

Offline Red_Laker

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2012, 10:04:57 am »
I wish I could keep just one Ciscoe/Herring. Beats getting skunked on a cold day.

Offline Scubaduke

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2012, 12:17:33 pm »
MNR should do the same for Pickerel in Simcoe.  Close it off for a few years.

May be the population of Pickerel is so low that recovery is not possible at this point.

Offline BuckyBass

• VIP Member
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2013, 11:48:09 am »
Has the MNR ever considered stocking with pickeral, I know it's being done with the muskie and has been somewhat sucessfull to this point, it would be great to increase the pickeral stock to Simcoe.

Offline John Whyte

• Time on the Water
  • Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2013, 05:50:42 pm »
There is some walleye stocking by individual clubs or associations. I would also love to see a walleye rehabilitation program on Simcoe. There is a larger population than some think and those willing to fish at night usually do well.

Offline Mako

• Rookie
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2013, 08:28:03 am »
 :clap:

Offline john_willy

• VIP Member
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2013, 10:38:43 am »
More walleye would eat some of those small perch that seem to be taking over. It would also be interesting to see what they would do to the goby population.....

A lake like Simcoe so close to millions of people, with more and more coming every day, is really a put and take lake (hence stocked lake trout and whitefish) and I don't see why they couldn't do the same for walleye..... Dump in a millions of fry every year and see what happens..... one female can have 400,000 eggs so it shouldn't be a problem...... I'd contribute time and money to that......

Where my son lives they stock all the reservoirs with hundreds of thousands of walleye every year and I'm sure they could do it here.....

However if our enlightened MNR wouldn't let the Nipissing Stakeholders stock their own lake with millions of walleye I doubt they would allow it here....

Offline nik0juju

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2013, 11:32:24 am »
this lake where i use to live up northern mich. had a lot of perch in it. the dnr put walleye in it and the perch disappered. the walleye took over the 10 mile long lake. that is all the people fish for now.

Axle

« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2013, 11:16:24 am »
My neighbor caught a 10.4lbs walleye trolling cooks bay last summer in less than 10 feet of water. I didnt believe him until he showed me pictures of the fish and the scale. Said he usually gets a couple of them while targeting pike throughout the summer but this one was his biggest

Offline John Whyte

• Time on the Water
  • Administrator
  • VIP Member

Offline ken

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2014, 12:44:42 pm »
greeting for chapped lips rub herring oil on your lips  ???

Offline loonietoonie

« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2015, 12:07:35 pm »
Does anyone know what the total possession limit for my freezer is for herring under the new rules? I'll probably never have the limit anyway but would like to know. I've had the one and it was pretty good.

Offline ledpedlr

« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2016, 08:06:47 pm »
just looked up the MNR regulations and all it states is catch limit of two no separate  on hand limit stated as for other fish, same as for whitefish only gives limit for the day

Offline SIBSPORT

« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2016, 10:30:59 am »
what is the limit for herring. and if we dont have the boat how and where we can catch them? thanks

Offline Olmasterbaiter

• Fishing Ninja
  • VIP Member
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2016, 10:20:08 am »
just looked up the MNR regulations and all it states is catch limit of two no separate  on hand limit stated as for other fish, same as for whitefish only gives limit for the day
I believe your daily and possession limit are the same unless stated otherwise.
If you read the regulations not just the limit page you will find all the info your looking for.

Sent from my SM-G870W using Tapatalk

"Worrying is like a rocking chair . It passes the time but doesn't get you anywhere"  Van Wilder

Offline Olmasterbaiter

• Fishing Ninja
  • VIP Member
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2016, 04:28:59 pm »

Sent from my SM-G870W using Tapatalk

"Worrying is like a rocking chair . It passes the time but doesn't get you anywhere"  Van Wilder

Offline Hotdog

« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2019, 01:59:42 pm »
Any idea where the perch went. Last two times up at jp and vb was terrible. Is it just me or is anyone else having the same problem. I moved at least 6 times at jp and couldn’t even pick any up on finder. I am heading to bolster Sunday. Hopefully it will be a bit better. Just wondering

Online Fishfood

• VIP Member
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2019, 11:16:21 pm »
Any idea where the perch went. Last two times up at jp and vb was terrible. Is it just me or is anyone else having the same problem. I moved at least 6 times at jp and couldn’t even pick any up on finder. I am heading to bolster Sunday. Hopefully it will be a bit better. Just wondering
Seems like a few areas that have proudest in the past is no longer available.  Alot of areas are being pushed out from the Whitties. I spent 5  hours today looking for them,not one to be seen. Hopefully tomorrow will be better and I can land a fish. Also moved over half dozen times and drilled thru over 40 ft of ice

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

Online Love 2 fish

• VIP Member
  • Just Keep fishing !
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2019, 05:32:47 am »

I fished VB for many years and this year has been the worst so far. I have caught fish but nothing like the past!