Author Topic: Muskoka Lakers  (Read 1123 times)

Offline Laughin Loon Fishin

• VIP Member
Muskoka Lakers
« on: January 15, 2020, 07:41:16 pm »
My patience with Lake Simcoe freezing up came to a end so myself and Evanxrs headed North for some lake trout action.   
It was a non stop fish after fish day but the largest was maybe 4 lbs.
Despite the size these fish acted just like larger Simcoe Lakers and it was a blast practicing my chases and drops and we'll just my presentation in general.  It was a blast but very educational for me.  I was even able to experiment with speeds.   
Anyways I hope you enjoy and thanks for watching.
Tight lines and stay dry

Online LakeSimcoe MessageBoard

• Advertisement

Offline Catcherman

• VIP Member
  • Boys go fishing. Men go Catching!
Re: Muskoka Lakers
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2020, 07:56:08 pm »
Great fishn great vid!

Thanks for sharing.

Brad

bd

Online PrawnDave

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2020, 07:50:32 am »
Nice vid ...I contemplated the same but I have been far too lazy this season.

Offline Livin4fishin

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2020, 08:41:05 am »
Awesome video fella. Some healthy looking fish there and good fun. Like your electronics set up. On that note, saw an ad for Dewalt this mornin that showed a device that connects to their 20V battery with multiple connection options for powering your electronic devices.....$200.00 +
« Last Edit: January 16, 2020, 08:44:36 am by Livin4fishin »
L4F - There is more to fishin' than just fishin

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2020, 12:23:56 pm »
Awesome video fella. Some healthy looking fish there and good fun. Like your electronics set up. On that note, saw an ad for Dewalt this mornin that showed a device that connects to their 20V battery with multiple connection options for powering your electronic devices.....$200.00 +
Thanks guys I appreciate the views.   

As for that device your talking about $200+ is crazy but if it's Dewalt branded it makes sense lol.   

I think the power output adapter I have cost $30 and all I had to do was take it apart and install a DC power plug.       I didn't even buy DEWALT. Batteries.   I got 2 aftermarket lithium 5.0amh 20v for $70. 
And with my helix 5 I have yet to run one empty and that's with 8 hours of straight usage.
Plus these batteries get used all year in my shop.     
I can go on and on about this setup because I'm very pleased and I highly recommend  others consider this.   So many positives.

Offline stub8

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2020, 01:40:55 pm »
Awesome action man!

What kind of area did you find them on, just out in open water or working a point or something?

• VIP Member
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2020, 02:00:48 pm »
Awesome action man!

What kind of area did you find them on, just out in open water or working a point or something?
Thank you

It was traditional laker structure.   I was on a submerged point/shoal.   Top being 30fow and quickly dropping to 80+ fow.   
I usually setup 3/4 of the way down the slope in hopes to lure the big girls cruising bottom  and I figure any fish moving up the shoal to ambush or feed can't help but be interested.   

I honestly was after larger fish but it was to exciting to relocate.     

Depending what the lake is like I find there is usually a cluster of debris or rocks right at the bottom of the shoals slope and I like being just above that or on the other side of the cluster on the flats. 

It's really all preference and based on your own success for what you like.   I know plenty of people that only fish the top with huge success Look what the KONRAD bros got on the top of a shoal in 15 fow On the latest 39 hrs episode.     
A TRUE MONSTER LAKER.  42" and I'd GUESS  around the 40-50 lb range.   

Offline stub8

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2020, 03:55:39 pm »
Awesome action man!

Thank you

It was traditional laker structure.   I was on a submerged point/shoal.   Top being 30fow and quickly dropping to 80+ fow.   
I usually setup 3/4 of the way down the slope in hopes to lure the big girls cruising bottom  and I figure any fish moving up the shoal to ambush or feed can't help but be interested.   

Depending what the lake is like I find there is usually a cluster of debris or rocks right at the bottom of the shoals slope and I like being just above that or on the other side of the cluster on the flats. 

It's really all preference and based on your own success for what you like.   I know plenty of people that only fish the top with huge success Look what the KONRAD bros got on the top of a shoal in 15 fow On the latest 39 hrs episode.     

Thanks for the insight, gives me an idea that im in the right area (in my head anyway) for when I get a chance to get out after them for the first time

• VIP Member
Muskoka Lakers
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2020, 05:43:04 pm »
Awesome action man!

Thank you

Thanks for the insight, gives me an idea that im in the right area (in my head anyway) for when I get a chance to get out after them for the first time
Hey no prob.    My biggest tip is to learn your graph.     If you can read your graph properly you'll be able to know if they are circling the bait or just looking at it.    Also IMO connecting with a laker is all about the chase. And if you mark a fish and begin the chase and the fish leaves the graphs cone,  keep reeling and speeding up.  8/10 times she's still there just not in your cone because it narrows as you rise.  One of my biggest repeatable mistakes.   
Good luck and tight lines

Online Fishfood

• VIP Member
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2020, 06:13:50 pm »
Nice going looks like a great day of catching.  Size ain't the greatest but when your catching consistent numbers it's alright. 
Awesome work keep up the great videos.
I watch this last night just just before 39 hrs lol.

Yes that was a huge 42 inch trout.   

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

• VIP Member
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2020, 03:56:08 pm »
Same fish same day but the video I posted on my INSTAGRAM
 57secs or hook sets and GOTCHAS

Offline stub8

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2020, 04:15:38 pm »
Awesome action man!

Thank you

Hey no prob.    My biggest tip is to learn your graph.     If you can read your graph properly you'll be able to know if they are circling the bait or just looking at it.    Also IMO connecting with a laker is all about the chase. And if you mark a fish and begin the chase and the fish leaves the graphs cone,  keep reeling and speeding up.  8/10 times she's still there just not in your cone because it narrows as you rise.  One of my biggest repeatable mistakes.   
Good luck and tight lines

Def something I'll keep in mind and def makes sense! Thanks again Sir. Next weekend will be another crappie trip with maybe a quick stop to laker territory so hopefully I'll get to put the advise to us

Online Fishfood

• VIP Member
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2020, 04:29:38 pm »
Haha that's awesome.

Gotcha lol.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk