Author Topic: Jan. 5. Greater Sudbury Area (report and video)  (Read 854 times)

Offline Catcherman

• VIP Member
  • Boys go fishing. Men go Catching!
Jan. 5. Greater Sudbury Area (report and video)
« on: January 07, 2020, 06:36:41 pm »
With the warm weather hanging around and few safe ice options I elected to burn some gas by driving almost 400km one way for a shot at some walleye...

A good friend was up in the Greater Sudbury area from Jan 2-5 fishing back lakes for specks and invited me up.  My schedule did not allow me to go for the entire time, but instead headed up Saturday afternoon for 24hrs. 

I arrived at my friend's hosts home at 4:30pm to leave my truck and trailer. The plan was for me to head out solo to spend the night and following day targeting walleye. Heading out onto an unfamiliar lake via a nearby snowmobile trail at dusk was a little unnerving, but I was assured the ice was safe for my Ski Doo.  Like most lakes in the area there were no digital lake charts available.  I used general rule of thumb and hunches while studying a simple google map to get an idea where I wanted to set up for the night. 

Got to my first choice to set up and found 14 inches...wow.  Love to find half of that on Simcoe. lol  Set up and marked a couple fish.  Decided it was the spot for the night.  Fully unpacked and settled... which was a mistake.  Sonar went blank and after two hours of nothing I called it a night and went to bed with intentions of moving in the morning. 

Check out my video for the rest of my stay and story.  Thanks

Brad

bd

Online LakeSimcoe MessageBoard

• Advertisement

Offline Newburg007

Re: Jan. 5. Greater Sudbury Area (report and video)
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2020, 04:10:10 pm »
What is the make/model of sonar?  I like the large LED flasher page.
Can you split/zoom the flasher mode (eg - left half of the circle is the full depth and the right half is the bottom 1/4 or 1/2 of the depth)?

Offline Catcherman

• VIP Member
  • Boys go fishing. Men go Catching!
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2020, 05:42:35 pm »
Humminbird Ice Helix7 chirp gen3.  Picked it up at Tromblyís Tackle Box for a great price.

It has 2x zoom on the flasher, but Iíve spent more time dialling in my chart.  Itís a great unit. 

Brad

bd

Online Fishfood

• VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2020, 06:09:37 pm »
Nice work great video.

Is that a pineapple coconut pail just pick up the same one ..

Always fun trying out new lakes especially the uncharted one.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Offline Livin4fishin

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2020, 04:21:53 pm »
Great video.  Love back lake fishing with ATV and kayak.  So much more access to back lakes with a sled though....
L4F - There is more to fishin' than just fishin

Offline Laughin Loon Fishin

• VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2020, 08:10:33 pm »
Nice videos dude. I like the way your putting them together.  I need to do some voice overs.   

I subbed so keep them coming