Author Topic: $3,000 Fine For Filling Shorelands On Lake Simcoe  (Read 9202 times)

Offline John Whyte

• Time on the Water
  • Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • Lake Simcoe Message Board
$3,000 Fine For Filling Shorelands On Lake Simcoe
« on: June 22, 2011, 02:36:30 pm »
$3,000 Fine For Filling Shorelands On Lake Simcoe

NEWS     June 21, 2011

A landowner on Thorah Island has been fined $3,000 for illegal filling on the shorelands  of Lake Simcoe.

Steven Longman of Stouffville was fined $3,000 after pleading guilty to filling shore lands without a permit, a violation under the Public Lands Act.

Court heard that during the summer of 2010, conservation officers received a complaint from a member of the public that filling was taking place on Thorah Island, near Beaverton.  Officers investigated and found that a local contractor had been directed to conduct filling and grading behind the shorewall of an illegal harbour.

Longman had been convicted of dredging the harbour without a permit on May 5, 2010, and fined $1,500 at that time.  Longman organized the filling despite being advised not to conduct any more work on the site prior to obtaining a work permit from the Ministry of Natural Resources.

Justice of the Peace Dolly V. Mecoy heard the case in the Ontario Court of Justice, Whitby, on June 16, 2011.

Landowners are reminded that work permits are required before working in the water or on shorelands.

To report a natural resources violation, call 1-877-TIPS-MNR (847-7667) toll-free any time or contact your local ministry officer during regular business hours.  You can also call Crime Stoppers anonymously at 1-800-222-TIPS (8477).

Terry Medd, Aurora District, 905-717-8455
Bill Lafferty, Aurora District, 905-713-7400   ontario.ca/mnr
 Disponible en fran├žais

I spend 250 days a year on the water and I still feel I'm missing Time on the Water.

Online LakeSimcoe MessageBoard

• Advertisement