Author Topic: Lake Erie advice  (Read 739 times)

Offline CrescentBeachBum2

Lake Erie advice
« on: July 27, 2020, 10:09:26 am »
Thinking of heading down to Lake Erie this weekend.  Never fished it before, wondering if anyone has advice
for me launching at Port Colborne and targeting walleye.  I don't have planer boards to start but that's okay.

I guess what I'm asking is if I should look for the same things I always look for when targeting walleye,
weed beds along sharp contour changes or maybe specific depths someone might recommend.

The little I found online about Port Colborne recommended fishing the east side just on the other side of the
canal at Port Colborne.

Any advice is welcome.

CBB

Online LakeSimcoe MessageBoard

• Advertisement

Offline tacklebuster

Re: Lake Erie advice
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2020, 10:30:07 am »
Fishing for walleye on lake Erie is nothing like your usual methods and typical spots.  You're using down riggers, dipsy's, planer boards with snap weights.   Some people like lead core, not for me though.  NK 28 type of spoons in multi color, bright colours.  Stick bait, such as Bandits, Redfins, colourful patterns work very well, and then in a couple of weeks the worm harnesses will start working (but not those little 4 inch ones with the small blades from Crappy tire), copper blades work very well, you can usually get those at the smaller tackle shops, not the big box stores. You will probably be fishing anywhere from 40-60 ft. down, in 50-65 fow. 

Most important of all, check the weather!!  It doesn't take much for Erie to get nasty.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2020, 10:44:15 am »
thanks for the advice Tacklebuster.  I don't have downriggers so I'm guessing my next best method will be jigging or deep diving
cranks in the 25-30 foot range.

CBB

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2020, 11:02:06 am »
Forgot to ask Tacklebuster, do the walleye stay that deep even at night?

CBB

Online Love 2 fish

• VIP Member
  • Just Keep fishing !
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2020, 12:52:00 pm »
Blade baits work well for both bass and walleye on Erie if you can't troll

Offline BB

• LOONY TOONER
  • VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2020, 01:18:36 pm »

Drop shot is awesome as well.

Offline tacklebuster

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2020, 01:21:51 pm »
I don't know, never fished it at night. After a few hours, depending on how many are in the boat, mornings or afternoon, we have our limit.

Offline tacklebuster

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2020, 01:25:27 pm »

Going to try something other than trolling this year too. It's great getting your limit, but catching walleye on salmon gear isn't as much fun.

Online Brooktrout

• Hunting - something to do between fishing seasons!
  • VIP Member
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2020, 02:27:27 pm »

Going to try something other than trolling this year too. It's great getting your limit, but catching walleye on salmon gear isn't as much fun.

I can imagine pulling in a 3 lb walleye on leadcore isn't  too exciting. LOL
I've spent most of my life fishing.  The rest I've wasted.

Offline tacklebuster

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2020, 02:31:42 pm »
Sometimes you can barely tell if there is anything on your line, you end up checking just in case.

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2020, 02:43:16 pm »

Thanks Brian, that is always in my arsenal.  Have you fished Erie for the evening walleye bite?
I find it hard to imagine they don't follow the same pattern of feeding in the shallows as walleye do
everywhere else I've been but I don't know, that's why I'm asking. ;D

CBB

Offline BB

• LOONY TOONER
  • VIP Member
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2020, 03:10:06 pm »

Thanks Brian, that is always in my arsenal.  Have you fished Erie for the evening walleye bite?
I find it hard to imagine they don't follow the same pattern of feeding in the shallows as walleye do
everywhere else I've been but I don't know, that's why I'm asking. ;D

CBB

I am a "EARLY" morning guy, and no, have not fished eyes on Erie. I just know that drop shoting is a main way to fish Erie. Bass, pikeral,perch, what ever . Not sure about walleye though.   ;D 8)

Online Love 2 fish

• VIP Member
  • Just Keep fishing !
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2020, 03:28:21 pm »
i have fished the pier in Port Colborne many many years ago with jerk baits in evening and caught walleye but no idea nowadays if they still come in!

Offline Tom McCutcheon

• Tom McCutcheon
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2020, 05:11:04 pm »
Without the use of downriggers, you can always try running your shallow baits like Ripplin Redfins or worm harness's off a jet planer flat lined behind the boat or off a Church planer board Pete. Worked well for us "Back In The Day"
If you eat a live frog first thing in the morning,  nothing worse can happen for the rest of the day

« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2020, 10:51:14 am »
Thanks to all for the advice.  Hopefully, I'll have few nice pics to report!

CBB

Online Saltydog

« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2020, 12:02:56 pm »
From what I have heard recently the east end of Lake Erie has been quite slow due to colder than usual water temperatures (this is what I have been told).  I have not fished for walleye there this year, however, last year in August I went out alone in my boat running to dipsy divers with Ripplin' Redfins.  The tackle shop that advised me said they were only hitting the bronze colour redfin so I thought I would test this theory.  I put a silver on one rod and a bronze on the other.  All fish were caught on the bronze which I thought was interesting.   I usually go out of Port Maitland and last year was fishing in 70ft and marked fish a little off the bottom.  Had my limit in an hour and fifteen minutes.  Salmon rods for pickerel don't make for much fun.  I am going to try jigging out there soon.  Never jigged for them there.

I am told out from Nanticoke is doing better and also Port Burwell they said that if you don't catch your limit quickly something is wrong with you.  I know something is wrong with me without not catching fish.

« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2020, 02:25:01 pm »
Thanks again for all the advice.  As luck would have it things didn't go well.  Don't know what my trailer tire hit but it took a big chunk out of
it on the 400.  Luckily, it didn't blow up but leaked slow enough that I got off at the next exit and changed to the spare in the parking lot.

However, my spare is pretty old and I wasn't liking the idea of heading that far with no spare so I had to search around Vaughan for the right
size trailer tire and changed a tire again when I found one.

Long story short, wasn't fishing until 5pm, was planning on trying worm harnesses but the bait shop was closed at the marina. >:(
Marked walleye in 17ft of water out front of the big breakwalls at Port Colborne but we didn't get a single bite between 2 of us.

Talked to a local back at the launch and he said same thing as Saltydog that for some reason, east end of the lake hasn't been strong this
season.

Like I always say...that's why they don't call it catching!

CBB

Offline BB

• LOONY TOONER
  • VIP Member
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2020, 03:58:12 pm »
That sucks CCB. I would of probably stayed home after the flat.  :(

« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2020, 04:01:07 pm »
Yeah that sucked, but I was visiting my oldest brother as well and I was halfway there so couldn't really
turn back.  We caught some amazing live music on Saturday afternoon that made up for it!

CBB