Bait & Tackle
October 31, 2014, 04:59:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Photo Albums Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Minnows available in Barrie as soon as next week!  (Read 2088 times)
Kenzy31

« on: November 30, 2012, 06:31:31 PM »

I just ran into Mrs. Canning who is a long time friend of the family and former hut rental operator. She has just informed me that they will be selling minnows this ice season to supply anglers in and around the Barrie area. They are located at Minet's Point in Barrie, on the south shore of Kempenfelt Bay. Great to hear a local business still making it here in town! Good luck to all this ice season, stay safe and may your catches be plentiful!

Jesse Smiley
John Whyte
Time on the Water
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2012, 06:51:19 PM »

Kenzy
Are they putting huts out this year?

I spend 250 days a year on the water and I still feel I'm missing Time on the Water.
Kenzy31

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2012, 07:24:43 PM »

Kenzy
Are they putting huts out this year?

I didn't inquire John, but I do know that they sold the hut operation to a guy who lives in the area 2-3 seasons ago. From what I understand he's nowhere near the quality of people that Joy and Clarence are! For the many years which the Canning's ran the huts, the service was always top shelf! This is NOT the case with the current operator. Renter beware!!
gdawg

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2012, 08:32:32 PM »

Does anyone rent huts on KBAY?
Kenzy31

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2012, 09:07:44 PM »

there was a new start-up operation running out of Big Bay Point 2010/2011 season I believe called Grizzly's. I never used them but did fish around his area a few times. Nice sized, fairly new huts, he seemed to be around quite often checking on his customers and also plowed an ice road out and parking near shore. I don't recall ever having any contact info though. Maybe another member could help with that. Or Canning's...I believe he may have gotten his minnows from them to supply his customers. Good luck!

Edit: found this with a quick google search
http://www.thebarrieexaminer.com/2011/01/21/ice-solid-returns
« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 09:13:15 PM by Kenzy31 » Logged
fishermandan
VIP Member

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2012, 09:09:20 PM »

i have had to put money in the "swear jar" at cannings multiple times. always get my minnows there. and the coffee isnt too bad! had my shack out there a couple years ago and was in there on the regular. the hut operator in question seemed like a nice dood to me. pulled my hut out with his machine for nothing. cant comment on the huts tho
Gilford
Rookie

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2012, 03:41:30 AM »

The ice fishing season hasn’t even started yet and your dishing a hut operator already and this board lets you get a way with it is very irresponsible.

Better quality people ?  , renters beware ? wtf  Tongue
grandpafish

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2012, 12:39:33 PM »

I rented from "GRIZZLY BY THE BAY ICE HUT RENTALS" a few times during the good ice conditions we all enjoyed back in the winter of 2011 and was very happy with everything offered. They were not able to get huts out last year, the same as many due to the bad ice / lack of ice. Will definitely go back this year again assuming he is in businness and all is good with ice conditions.
Business is operated by Dave Munshaw (calls himself "Grizzly") who knows what he is doing...good (new) huts, good service and has a good on ice hut location off Big Bay Point. If I remember correctly he was in 80-95 FOW, and the huts were located in the mouth area of K-Bay.
I would personally recommend this operator for anyone wanting to rent huts for Whitey's and Lakers.
GRIZZLY - Tel. 705-294-0607
gf/brian
grandpafish

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2012, 01:45:45 PM »

I just talked to Clarence Canning who I've known (as well as wife Joye) for quite some time to confirm that "yes" they will be back in business with Minnows and some equipment, lures etc. within the next week. They have been long time operators at Minets Point, both as a store for fishing needs and as well a good hut operator for 39 years. I rented from them many times over the years and was always very well treated, and as well learned a great deal from them...always willing to share good advice. They are really good people and very knowledgeable when it comes to ice fishing.They sold off all of their huts a couple of years ago to someone who may or may not be operating now ?
Unless someone else decides to get into the business "CANNING'S" will be the only place in Barrie to get Minnows.
Minets Point...K-Bay (south shore)  Tel: 705-721-8500
John Whyte
Time on the Water
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2012, 09:04:35 AM »

I believe Big Catch Simcoe operates near BBP.

You can find them in here http://www.timeonthewater.ca/simcoe_icehuts.html

I spend 250 days a year on the water and I still feel I'm missing Time on the Water.
Brons 7

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2012, 12:39:49 PM »

Has anyone been to the cannings latley i fish a lake near Barrie with 6 inch suckers . do the cannings have sukers or just shiners?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: