Bait & Tackle
April 20, 2014, 10:00:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Photo Albums Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: nottawasaga river salmon on the run  (Read 3199 times)
chris

« on: July 13, 2012, 12:28:20 AM »

I live on the river in angus, and the water is so low that i been seening salmon starting to come up. There has been two people so far caught two salmon this week. 12lbs.-8lbs. caught fish on spinners and flat fish lures.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 12:33:13 AM by chris » Logged
Dan The Moose
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2012, 12:32:20 AM »

What species? And how far up the river? Man this is such a bizarre year!
chris

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2012, 12:37:22 AM »

so far they are past the hwy 90 bridge in angus. Alot of sturgen has been caught in the past month and big carp, plus perch. I have river go threw my property and caught 12 perch at 8" long. I tell people sturgen is closed.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 12:39:00 AM by chris » Logged
Dan The Moose
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2012, 12:42:13 AM »

The sturgeon and perch do not surprise me, but the salmon....they are not Chinooks are they? I could see pinks coming in already....wait whats the water temp?
John Whyte
Time on the Water
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2012, 06:20:41 AM »

Are you sure they are not resident bows? No salmon run in July!

I spend 250 days a year on the water and I still feel I'm missing Time on the Water.
bradhudson

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2012, 07:04:41 AM »

My son has been catching bows all year in the river and some big ones as well. With the water being so low you are just able to see them better, that's what I am thinking. We haven't had any rain or cool nights to even make them think about coming up early.
Fisherman
VIP Member

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2012, 07:14:36 AM »

Are you sure they are not resident bows? No salmon run in July!

Sorry but we have had chinook runs as early as mid june over the years. Been there, live there, caught them myself and I know how to read a calander.
John Whyte
Time on the Water
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2012, 07:43:31 AM »

Fisherman
Are they spawning runs or food chase? Sometimes in late July or early Aug the alewives run in the river and the Chinook follow.

I spend 250 days a year on the water and I still feel I'm missing Time on the Water.
Bow Hunter

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2012, 08:16:18 AM »

I have fished the notti for over thirty years and there is always an early run of salmon in July. I know the river better than I know my own house, can't even find freezers bags in the house!  Years ago when the salmon numbers were way up, you could almost count on a scout run of pretty good numbers down at the water station in wasaga even with very low water conditions.  They do not stage for too long, just runnnnnnnnn.

Cheers

Bow hunter
Fisherman
VIP Member

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2012, 12:14:07 PM »

Fisherman
Are they spawning runs or food chase? Sometimes in late July or early Aug the alewives run in the river and the Chinook follow.

It would be a spawning run as I've seen them way up the Pine in July also.
BootScoot

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2012, 02:59:24 PM »

seems absurd to me....I'll need to see this with my own two eyes to believe it
flippin

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2012, 03:12:36 PM »

Well i guess you should head up there, you get info an ppl say whatever, stay home!!! I will take my chances, POOOP happens an this weather is MESSED UP! flip
chris

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2012, 04:19:30 PM »

This morning around 5:30 am i caught a 10lb. snook on a j 11 tiger jointed plug. Put it back into river, as i don't eat fish. Just catch and release. The MNR was up at hwy 90 bridge, and said he has seen people catch the odd rainbow and snook the past week. This looks like a early year run. I will keep you all posted on river run , as i live on it.
Wilbur007

« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2012, 11:00:29 PM »

Not from experience in the Notty, but salmon being caught in the bay have turned that staging grey with the black cheeks. Some being caught in the river doesn't surprise me. A couple of the older and wiser guys at the dock commented that they think the fish are so messed up the year that they are ahead of the calendar a couple weeks. For what its worth.
use2begills

« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2012, 03:12:36 PM »

Just like the whiteys who had come and gone by the time of the opener.Why would you be surprised that there are fish in the river. It is very common for us to get fish up the knotty by the end of July every year. With the weird March and early spring the I amn ot surprised at all. We have also been getting fish starting to turn black for a couple of weeks now on Lake O. I would not be too surprised if there are a few caught in Wilmot as well after this thunderstorn.I do think the fish are a month ahead of schedule this year.I guess time will tell
Lake Simcoe Message Board

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: