Author Topic: Hook Removal  (Read 1726 times)

Online Overtime

• VIP Member
  • It's a great day when you wake up each morning
Hook Removal
« on: June 17, 2018, 09:36:45 pm »
Does anyone have the video where you wrap the line around the imbedded hook and give it a yank.  I had it on my old computer which went for a dump.
Thanks for posting it

Stay Safe
Overtime

Online LakeSimcoe MessageBoard

• Advertisement

Offline Evanxrs

• VIP Member
Re: Hook Removal
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2018, 09:53:06 pm »
Millions on you tube....

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Offline Sportsman

• VIP Member
  • Its a life style which I'm enjoying
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2018, 10:13:18 pm »
Thread then yank.  Hurts and tears way too much unless the barb is shallow!  A deep barb is very stubborn and creates a tearing effect.  I recommend making a small incision along the side of the barb/ hookshaft.  This way you create the path for the hook to be removed much more easily.  You'll need the sharpest blade ...such as a olfa or exacto or razor blade.   Afterwards an  incision will heal much better than a tear. The surrounding tissues will be less traumatized, swollen and painful during the aftermath.  Tape the incision closed and dress the wound.

Sportsman

Offline Wanna be fisherman

• VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2018, 11:53:03 am »
I tried the wrap method last year. Hurt like hell and didnt work. Probably did it wrong. Ended up pushing the hook through and cutting off the barb. Much less painful.

Offline Jerryklimczuk

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2018, 10:55:41 pm »
Yup, have to agree with Wanna be, curve the hook around, poke through and cut the eye or the barb off, then just pull through. The yank method is terrible on softer younger skin, if you are an old salt and have thick calluses its a little easier to tolerate. CLEAN IT WELL. I dont recommend doing surgery with a utility knife that requires stitches, unsanitary and ruins your days fish. If you can pop it through you have 2 small holes that seal up quickly instead of a gash. I have had my share of hooks stuck in me in all sorts of places (fishing with dad was sometimes a game of dodgeball) and the pop through method is the least painful and easy one.
It's all part of the grand life experience.

Offline Southern Pike

• VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2018, 12:51:14 am »
Over the years I have tried a few methods for removing hooks from myself or others .... the best is still push it through if you can and cut the barb shank.
Least amount of pain and damage if its in too deep to slit the skin with a razor.

Offline Garnet

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2018, 05:57:16 am »
I've taken a dozen hooks out by popping them out with heavy line. No issues.

One key is to push down and slightly forward and pop it out.

Even out of myself no pain quick and easy.

Offline John Whyte

• Time on the Water
  • Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • Lake Simcoe Message Board
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2018, 06:22:46 am »
I have used the method many times and had very good success. There is a trick to it. You have to push down on the hook when you snap the line. Most often people just pull which turns the point of the hook up. It has to stay level. I'll try and do an illustration when I get a moment.. It is hard to do by yourself.
I spend 250 days a year on the water and I still feel I'm missing Time on the Water.

Offline Jerryklimczuk

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2018, 06:59:25 pm »
I have used the method many times and had very good success. There is a trick to it. You have to push down on the hook when you snap the line. Most often people just pull which turns the point of the hook up. It has to stay level. I'll try and do an illustration when I get a moment.. It is hard to do by yourself.
Like I said, old salt + calluses= less pain......
It's all part of the grand life experience.

Offline Swamprat

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2018, 04:26:11 pm »
Good god I thought the original question was about a snag. Ya'll are tough SOB"S Yank the hook out????? How about screaming like a child until you get to the emerg LOL