Author Topic: out board motors and freezing  (Read 3313 times)

Offline Mike D

out board motors and freezing
« on: October 17, 2017, 10:00:39 am »
I am concerned about my motor freezing when the weather get cold. Does an out board motor (200hp) in this case drain completely when you take it out of the water, manifold and all. So that I don't have to be concerned about freezing.
I want to be like Justin and fish new years day. Although I am not sure why , I never catch any thing any way. LOL ;D

Online LakeSimcoe MessageBoard

• Advertisement

Offline Perchinater

Re: out board motors and freezing
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2017, 10:16:16 am »
I don't know if it will ever drain completely but mine has sat in my driveway these past 6 winters without an issue, I give it a quick turnover out of the water then make sure to let gravity do its work and set the motor vertical to drain as best it can.
This is my fishing rod There are many like it, but this one is mine My fishing rod is my Best friend

Offline Mike D

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2017, 10:22:58 am »
This 200hp is new to me and I really don't want to take a chance. Any mechanics out there.

poickster

out board motors and freezing
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2017, 10:31:33 am »
Put the muffs on and cycle some anti freeze into your system. 
Just make sure to put the muffs back on and cycle clean water again before taking it to the lake

I’m no mechanic but I’ve been researching options recently and that seems to be the easiest and most effective

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline VB

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2017, 10:43:49 am »
Just make sure to put the muffs back on and cycle clean water again before taking it to the lake

I’m no mechanic but I’ve been researching options recently and that seems to be the easiest and most effective

X2 I am no mechanic as well but I run antifreeze through the motor as well and it works fine. I picked up the boat at the end of December few years ago and I winterized it with my buddy on a day it went from -3 to -17 in less than 6 hours and no issues whatsoever. Mind you mine is a 2 stroke so not sure if 4 stroke would be the same.

Offline Mike D

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2017, 12:05:32 pm »
When you say run some antifreeze through it . You mean muffs,  short hose and a funnel to pour the antifreeze, or is there a kit or some another way.

poickster

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2017, 12:26:48 pm »
Muffs and a funnel

Offline Fishing Rod

• VIP Member
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2017, 01:57:36 pm »
I have had outboards my whole life and have never heard of one freezing in the cooling system.
It's self draining when upright.
The only thing you need to worry about is if your seal at the prop is leaking and water got in there. This is why we drain it every year.
If you flush your engine with antifreeze please film it and put it on YouTube.

Offline Mike D

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2017, 02:15:06 pm »
Sorry I do not do U tube. My name is not BB. ;D
But thank you for the help everyone. Good advice all around.

Offline Garnet

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2017, 04:27:37 pm »
I have always trimmed level pulled the latch and turn motor over a few times. After perchn.

The big concern is fuel stabilizer, it's the 1 thing you need to run motor until threw system. I use Seafoam because it has no shelve life and put in tank at the start of fall perchn so a couple weeks ago.

I don't fog my Opti 200.

I check lower unit oil, if white drain and have seals looked after over winter, if it looks like oil I leave it. After spring perchn I change it.

Offline Ice Dog

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2017, 05:17:36 pm »
I have always trimmed level pulled the latch and turn motor over a few times. After perchn.

The big concern is fuel stabilizer, it's the 1 thing you need to run motor until threw system. I use Seafoam because it has no shelve life and put in tank at the start of fall perchn so a couple weeks ago.

I don't fog my Opti 200.

I check lower unit oil, if white drain and have seals looked after over winter, if it looks like oil I leave it. After spring perchn I change it.

I was going to start another thread but this works for me: 

I have a 2013 Mercury 60 hp fourstroke.  I run starbrite star tron all season long with my fuel as it sits from week to week.  Is this good enough for winter storage or should I add seafoam to it?  I am also going to change out the engine oil and lower unit oil before winter too!
Thanks

Offline BB

• LOONY TOONER
  • VIP Member
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2017, 06:20:30 pm »
Sorry I do not do U tube. My name is not BB. ;D
But thank you for the help everyone. Good advice all around.

Offline Newburg007

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2017, 06:45:54 pm »

You can avoid this last step by using RV/plumming antifreeze (environmentally friendly).
(Poickster: Great that your consideration for the environment was included here -- nicely done!)

poickster

« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2017, 08:24:23 pm »

You can avoid this last step by using RV/plumming antifreeze (environmentally friendly).
(Poickster: Great that your consideration for the environment was included here -- nicely done!)
Thank you good sir.  The more time I spend on the water the more I want it to last .  See ya on the ice

Offline mac

« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2017, 10:32:31 pm »
Here you go Mike, watch this. It is a little bit of overkill, I dont use antifreeze, just let all the water drain out. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x217iM77Qjc
« Last Edit: October 17, 2017, 10:46:03 pm by mac »

Offline Garnet

« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2017, 07:41:44 am »
I don't know Starbrite product.

Another small point with the Opti is they have direct oil feed to bearings. By pulling your latch cord and turning over you clear water out of your impeller and add a little oil to bearings.

This is why I don't fog my Opti.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2017, 07:45:21 am by Garnet »

Offline Mike D

« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2017, 10:42:04 am »
Thanks Brian and Mac. That was very helpful. I especially liked the girl in the bikini changing outbrd motor oil.  8)